Cambelt change help?

A3Manley

Hi guys

i've just bought a 2010 audi a3 black edition 170 quattro, unsure if its had its cambelt changed but the cars only got 14k miles, should i be worryed?

help please!

thanks

ben

With a car of that age, I'm sure you'll have a service manual. Have a peruse, it'll take 15 minutes and you will find the service schedule for each period and it will tell you at which point the belt will need changing. I guess it'll be at least 40k.

I wouldn't have thought age would have that much to do with it. 5 years to a modern car, is not a lot. I would just stick to the mileage figure if it has a full service history. I don't think they perish or corrode at that age. I guess the truth is I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't worry, it'll be ages before you need to think about it.

However, I've just read this, but I'm still not convinced! One response is that it should be 4 years or 60k whichever comes first.....this is not gonna stop your worries!

You're looking at approx £500, including water pump.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/170-tdi-cambelt-price.156113/

I am pretty sure you can get away with it for a little while longer as its very low mileage. Maybe start putting some money aside for the change.

However, if you want to be sure then I would get it changed. At least you will get that fuzzy feeling once it's been done.