break pedal 'bouncing'

madmatt01

hi guys, 

had my a4 estate 1.9 tdi 130bhp now for roughly a year

lovely drive

recently it has developed a bouncing brake pedal that almost feels like it kicks back at you when braking, more so at low speed, also a on off on off grinding sort off sound - made me thing the discs where warped - i dont get any vibration or movement in the steering wheel - just the pedal.

was due a service, so its had that today and also new front pads and discs... took it on a drive and brake is no different 

i also have the ABS light flash up if i crusie above 50 for a few minutes 

again... this was happening before. 

would my next best bet be to replace the ABS module?? 

any tips are most welcomed! 

also... could someone tell me the different between the B5 and B6 engines? 

thanks, 

matt

Matt, I would say try and get it scanned using vagcom before you do anything else as this is the only way to know for sure.

Strangely, I have heard reports of the ABS light being caused by a faulty brake light switch....

• Like 1

Cheers james

Will the snap on diagnostic machine do this ok?

Took car on a good run today... now once the abs light comes on the 'pedal bouncing' stops....

Will investigae... thankyou

Matt, not sure on the diagnostic machine tbh, but certainly worth a try if you have access to one! Let us know how you get on.

• 3 months later...

Matt, I get a similar noise, vibration through the pedal only at almost stop, checked the discs & pads. But I noticed (I did this on my drive not on the road) that if I turn off the engine just before stopping the vibration doesn't happen, therefore in my mind it must be something to do with either ABS or sensor etc.

I'll be taking mine down to the garage to try & find out, hoping its not going to be costly.

Let me know if you resolved yours.

Cheers

Steve.

Forgot all about this....

The pedal got.worse and worse.

Went in for mot and failed.

Got a friend to plug it in.... code coming up was for the drivers rear wheel sensor... which also failed mot on the wheel bearing...

Bought a new wheel bearing and put in and bobs your uncle problem gone!

Forgot all about this....

The pedal got.worse and worse.

Went in for mot and failed.

Got a friend to plug it in.... code coming up was for the drivers rear wheel sensor... which also failed mot on the wheel bearing...

Bought a new wheel bearing and put in and bobs your uncle problem gone!

Good results Matt!

Matt, I get a similar noise, vibration through the pedal only at almost stop, checked the discs & pads. But I noticed (I did this on my drive not on the road) that if I turn off the engine just before stopping the vibration doesn't happen, therefore in my mind it must be something to do with either ABS or sensor etc.

I'll be taking mine down to the garage to try & find out, hoping its not going to be costly.

Let me know if you resolved yours.

Cheers

Steve.

Steve, looks like you may be along the right lines with an ABS sensor....