Clutch slipping in 4th gear

jmcclintock77

Hi, 

My A4 Avant (B8) has had a stage 1 remap which has exposed a wearing clutch. It slips intermittently in 4th gear only. Do I need a new clutch AND dual mass flywheel. Are they sold together? Any ideas on how much it will cost?

Thanks in anticipation

James

Hi James, welcome!  :)

This can be quite a common fault with remapped cars, as the increased torque causes the clutch plate to slip.

You will not NEED a new dual mass flywheel, but many people recommend fitting one at the same time to save on labour if it goes later, though this will add significantly to the parts cost.

The only bit causing the slipping will be the clutch assembly itself.

If you're handy with a spanner etc, the cheapest method would be to do it yourself minus the DMF. Not too sure on costs I'm afraid, will depend on the exact model you have. Also, if you go to an Audi dealer the labour plus parts will cost a small fortune if you include the DMF.

Thank you James

I think I'm going to do the job lot in one go (parts from Euro Car Parts cost £520) and then I know where I'm at. I've only had the car a few weeks so god knows how its been driven before. 

Lets hope the labour charges aren't too expensive!!!

Cheers

James

Hopefully not, I feel your paint after only having it a few weeks. I guess you have no come back with the seller?

Where are you planning on getting it done?

Hopefully he won't try and fob you off with a clutch being a 'wear and tear' item. I believe under the sales of goods act it is down to the seller to prove that the fault wasn't there when he sold it to you within the first six months so you could always fall back on that?