Intro

Barry w

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an A4 2.0 se diesel estate, circa 06, 07 reg with (hopefully)  under 110k miles, needs  to be black.

Can someone ideally  brief me on any pitfalls, obvious things I should be made aware of.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi Barry welcome to the club  :)

A couple of things to watch out for would be excessive oil consumption (can be a common fault) and also the EGR valve can cause quite a few diesel related issues if this gets dirty.

Manual transmission is a fairly safe bet but if you go auto try and avoid the multi tronic box as this can be problematic and expensive to replace/fix.

Have you found any potential purchases yet?

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

There are some possibles on the bay of E but I'm in no hurry, so can afford to wait.

To be frank currently have an X type 2.0 D Estate which I've had for 3 years, happy with same but just felt like a change and like the look of the Audi. 

Just thinking, how do I get the seller to swear she isn't drinking a lot of oil, EGR valve seems common weakness in a lot of diesels.

Is fitting the Sat Nav an easy mod? 

B

With regards to the oil I agree it is difficult to tell sometimes but obviously as a minimum just check the oil and make sure that the levels look ok as if not this could either be a sign of oil usage or poor maintenance.

Sat nav wise the RNS-E unit is not that difficult to fit if you have a little experience with that sort of thing, however it can be quite expensive to buy the unit and you will need a GPS aerial too.

My advice would be to be patient and find one that already has all the toys you would like. Makes life a little more simple that way and options don't always add that much to the price of a second hand car. 

James,

Many thanks.

Can you please confirm if the loom is already there for the Sart Nav? The GPS antenna is not an issue.

I understand that the Business model has it as standard.

Thanks again

Regards,

B

I believe so. This guide makes pretty interesting reading even going from the single din version it looks like you can get an adapter lead to end up with the correct connections:

http://www.pvv.org/~shane/stasj/pics/motor/dokumentasjon/A4-S4_B5/Audi%20-%20FULL%20Installing%20Sat%20Nav%20in%20an%20A4.pdf