Adding driving lights to a '97 ?

stvj A4

Hello,

I want more light, longer, farther light.  I'd like to add driving lights to my A4 and I'd like to find information about others' solutions.   

I'd like to talk with some folks who have done it or find some custom shops who do it regularly.

I'm not sure that bolting a pair of Oscars on the bumper is a great way to go.  ;-)

Thanks,

stv

Thanks, James!    I'm not too concerned with the legality as I've seen some in use here and they're sold here, so... that seems to be ok.   My ignorance is the problem (lol...) as always...   I haven't been able to find any actual information on the light patterns of the

newer conversions.  The retailers I've asked only go on about the cosmetics, how cool they make the old car look.  Ucch...

I'll keep asking as I find more.

I have been able to find information from Hella on the patterns and distances of their various auxiliary lights so that's been the

path I've taken.

I'd enjoy being able to find out what the conversions really do.  That would be a nice fix and in general seem to be less expensive

than the auxiliary lights.   Tho... I wonder if that suggests that they work less well than they look... ;-)

Thanks!

stv

As you say I think one of the main selling point for the conversion kits is the cool look vs the old halogen ones.

I think a lot of it in terms of the beam pattern with conversions actually depends on the original headlights that you fit the kit in. Some older style headlights seem to suit the conversion kits better than others depending on the reflector pattern I think.

I've been searching for a while.  I've had the car since '01 and I've replaced the headlight assemblies twice, once from damage and once from wear and pebbling of the lenses.   I had hoped that OEM lenses had been upgraded for better distance and less

difference in the patterns between the high and low beam patterns.  But no...

Recently there are conversion kits that are whole units that replace the original box, lens, everything.  Those have made such a replacement more attractive to me but I still can't find real infos on how the lenses work and such.  I suppose I could research the return policies of the retailers and buy some and try them, return them if they don't do it, but ... whew... that seems the long way 'round.

That could be just because I'm a lousy (albeit stubborn...) researcher ... ;-)  Or it could be that those replacements aren't doing a lot of lens development, which is probably alright if one is looking good in close quarters, an urban environment or such.  But not so good for me.  I drive distances at night in the American midwest.

I did find some small Hellas that were sort of a rounded rectangle and I thought I might cut places for them in the upper corners

of the A4 grille, but I wasn't satisfied with the range of them. 

Thanks!  

Hmmm I think my the sound of it either the conversion kits and/or fitting some additional lights into the grill are going to be your best options if you want it to look reasonably OEM.

Another option if you weren't worried about how it looks could be additional axillary lighting mounted on roof bars etc a bit like they do on some more rugged SUV/4x4s?

<<  Hmmm I think my the sound of it either the conversion kits and/or fitting some additional lights into the grill are going to be your best options if you want it to look reasonably OEM.>>

I still hope to find someone, online or in an actual shop, who can talk to me about the performance specs of the conversion kits.   I've seen some

on the street but they were horribly aimed and annoying so I could pretty much tell that the user was more interested in cosmetics than performance... ;-)

I lust for information... lol ....

<< Another option if you weren't worried about how it looks could be additional axillary lighting mounted on roof bars etc a bit like they do on some more rugged SUV/4x4s? >>

I googled some combination of words having to do with lights and A4s of my vintage and I did see one (maybe more) with a light bar that raised

up out of the front bumper a little bit and had lights mounted on that.   It was very butch.  lol...  I didn't consider it, but ... I'd better go and look

some more.  ;-)

I just want to find folks who have done this stuff, whether they are gear sellers or Audi enthusiasts... -Someone- must have wanted better light.

Can I be the only one?   (I'd better have more eye tests, then, eh?)

Thanks!

stv

• 4 months later...