Best cycle rack

conceptual_primate

Hi,

I bought an Audi A3 Saloon in March, first time poster.

I am looking for a cycle carrier which will fit the car.  I do not have a roof rack or a tow bar.  Does anyone have any recommendations, Audi branded or otherwise?  Ideally for carrying 2-3 road bikes.

Thanks a lot in advance,

CP

Hi Stuart,

My personal opinion would be that if you're going to be using this regularly then invest in a towbar or roof rack. I don't personally rate rear mounted cycle carriers all that much as no matter how hard you try there is always the risk of scratching your car.

Plus, you are likely to obscure your number plate and/or the lights. While the number plate is not too much of an issue as you can attach an extra one, if you obscure the lights you then need a trailer board which will need to be powered by a towing electrics socket, by which time it may be worth investing in a roof rack or tow bar anyway.

Whichever system you go for, from personal experience I'd suggest the brand Thule. I popped your car into the search and it appears only their newest (but very clever) rear mount carrier fits your car anyway - the Thule Raceway 991 and 992. It's a nice bit of kit but by the time you've spent over £200 on one I'd still have put that towards a difference solution personally.

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/rear-door-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-raceway-991-_-991000