Audi A6 2.4 Starting problems

jimmyk

Hi Everyone. wonder if anybody can help?

I have just purchased an Audi A6 C6 2.4 sportline. Its a really nice car but I am having some starting issues.

The car will start very easily when hot and just switched off but if left for a few minutes or cold it seems to turnover quite a few times before firing.

I have plugged in my maxidiag and I am getting the following codes: P2075 and 00838 (N286) both sporadic.

I have cleared the codes but the p2075 came straight back on.

It also looks like the engine has been out and the timing chain has been changed and whoever has done this has done a really messy job.

The car has only covered 58k but looks like it hasnt been cared for engine wise so I have just given it a quick oil and filter change

Can anybody shed any light? I have searched the forums and keep getting info on cam sensors or cam position solenoids but before changing anything I thought I would ask.

Also sombody has fitted a non-return valve on the fuel line so this could be somthing to do with it?

Other than this the car seems to run ok but a little bit underpowered in my opinion?

Any help would be appreciated

That code throws up the following results so that's where I'd start:

P2075 IMT (Intake Manifold Tuning) Valve Pos Sensor/Switch Circ

The 2.4 is a nice smooth engine but not all that powerful when you consider the size of the car....

Thanks James,

Yes beginning to realise about the power!

Going to have a camshaft sensor fitted today as we discovered it was showing an obd fault code for this as well.

Do you think this could be related to the first code? and is there anything specific on the IMT that you could point us to?

Thanks again,

James

If you're having the camshaft sensor done today I'd be inclined to see how that goes before you do anything else. You never know it could be related.

Let us know how you get on when you get it back  :)

Hi Guys,

Just to keep you posted:

We changed the sensor and no difference the code is still there. Checked all the wiring to the sensor incase it had been stretched when the engine was removed but that also seems ok which brings me to think that the timing may be out and this is why we keep getting the code.

Am I right in thinking that there is some sort of cam adjuster on this engine? and could that be the problem?

Anyway, I am going to get it in to my mechanic next week and have a really good look including taking off the rocker cover and checking the chain.

I will keep you posted and as usual any advice is welcomed!!

James

Hmmm, I'm not too sure to be honest James but I'd be interested to hear what the outcome is when you send it in next week.

Did the second code make a reappearance?