Gearbox Issue?

Thomas

Good Morning Everyone, A quick question to determine if I should seek mechanical assistance with an issue I've had with my 2014 Audi A6 this morning. When the automatic handbrake engaged, after a couple of seconds the gearbox disengaged and the computer stated 'Gearbox, please press the brake pedal and select gear'.

This happened everytime the automatic handbrake went on.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

You do not state what model you have, is it the dual clutch or the torque converter auto.

However, having owned A6s with both types of gearbox, the behaviour you describe is not normal. The operation of the handbrake normally has no effect on gear selection, or even as in your case, gear de-selection. You need to take advice on this; given the age of the car my first stop would be my main dealer.

13 hours ago, Speedy said:

You do not state what model you have, is it the dual clutch or the torque converter auto.

However, having owned A6s with both types of gearbox, the behaviour you describe is not normal. The operation of the handbrake normally has no effect on gear selection, or even as in your case, gear de-selection. You need to take advice on this; given the age of the car my first stop would be my main dealer.

Good point, it's still in warranty being a 2014 so that's where I'd go...

Thanks Ian,

The car is an Semi-Automatic, driven the car 3 times since yesterday morning and the issue hasn't repeated. The car is due for Service in 5,000 miles which is about a months worth of driving for me, so may book it in earlier to get them to look at it at the dealership.

Thanks for your advice.

I don't mean to be picky, but what do you mean by Semi-Automatic? Is it S tronic (dual clutch), tiptronic (torque converter auto) or 6 speed manual? I am assuming from what you said before that it is one of the first two. That being the case, I would watch carefully for a repetition of the problem, It MAY indicate an ECU issue, and in any case you would want the cause identified before the warranty runs out; it may take a while to diagnose!

I get the same message in my A3, with S Tronic box. If you read the manual that came with your car, there is lots of warnings (lets call them disclaimers) about not applying the foot brake when the car is in drive. I have stop start on mine and it tells me every time I try to move the gearshift in 'drive' that I should have my foot on the brake even though the car is secured on the electronic brake. I think the book refers to the possibility that the car can lurch forward even though the electronic brake is activated. However, I have learnt that when the stop start is activated and the engine stops, I can apply the electronic brake with the car in drive although the user manual tells me not to do so, but to hold the car on the footbrake, (which burns the eyes out of the driver behind you on dark nights.) As you apply your foot to the gas pedal the engine starts and the electronic brake is automatically released.

If this applies to you, try it for yourself. Engine stops, your foot is on the footbrake, apply the electronic brake and wait until you feel a slight decrease in resistance under your foot, the car is now secure on the electronic brake, so you can remove your foot. Leave some tyres and tarmac between you and the car in front, in case the car starts up again (as it sometimes does), so if it does lurch, then you don't prang the back end of the guy in front.