Advice on Engine Management Light

Shrewdy66

Hi, Looking for a bit of advice before I take my car to the garage.

About 6 weeks ago my wife filled up with petrol instead of diesel and managed to drive for about a mile before the car stalled. She called fuel doctor who did the drain and she refilled with diesel.

Now, the engine management warning light is on permanently and i'm getting a variety of weird issues....namely: The electric windows work intermittently, either they work or nothing happens when I try them a few times or they don't go fully down or up after holding the button. Then i'm getting a 'brake light failure' warning on the dash even though the brake lights are fine. The other thing to mention is that before the 'wrong fuel was put in I would get the DPF warning come on after around 2 to 3 weeks of normal driving but since filling up and driving the car with the wrong fuel in the DPF warning light has not been back on...

What can be done to get everything back to normal? Is it as easy as resetting the engine management system or something else?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks 

You would find that the ECU will need to "re learn" your driving habits etc and if the car has a radio code (not sure as not all do these days)

You would need a code reader - a garage could do it for you too but would obviously cost more

Thanks for the advice. The Emission Control Light is staying on all the time after having a fuel drain (put petrol in a diesel situation) so I'm gonna try the battery disconnect/reconnect to see if it resets. 

Fingers crossed 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately not, hooked it up to a fault code reader and it returned a code that said the Exhaust Pressure Sensor high......reset the fault after checking the pipes on the sensor but it came back on the next day.

Think I'm gonna take it in for a forced regen and take it from there.

the blown brake light warning is still alerting me but after looking it seems the Reg plate bulb has blown so might be the cause of the warning 

• 2 weeks later...

Update........I ran a full tank through with a DPF cleaner and the light went out for a couple of days but now its back on.............suspected G450 Pressure sensor fault so i'm going to change that today.

I have the car booked into the local garage for the sensor to be put through the  'adaption' process using the VCDS software but i'm wondering if it will be OK to drive the car to the garage after replacing the sensor or does the adaption process need to take place before starting the car?

Thanks

Phil

(ps, the brake light is sorted....didin't realise it had 2 bulbs either side :wink1: my bad! 

Haha glad you got the brake light sorted. I replied to the things about the G450 in the other thread you posted. Found an interesting post on Ross Tech on the subject.