Bose sound system

DPJ

Hi guys

anybody know of an upgrade to my Bose system, mine doesn't sound good missing all mid & high end sound, been into all the settings but not much adjustment in the MMI only balance, treble & bass, it seems by other forums that there is a lot of complaints of this, why do Audi build such a good quality car and let it down with the sound system, I have just bought this car used & glad I didn't pay the premium upgrade to Bose as not worth it, any help would be good.

I know the Bose system isn't as good as the B&O one. I think Audi now market the Bose as more of a mid range system.

I guess you're going to have to go down the traditional route of upgrading speakers, sub/amp etc?

Hi James

I went to a local car audio shop, it would seem the system has no upgrade options as all the wiring is now fibre optic, speakers seem the only upgrade but this wouldn't achieve much as there is no control of the sub and they think Audi have locked the amp and think the sound is good enough, the only option I have after a lengthy chat with the audio guys is to replace the whole system, that would cost 1-1.5K, trying a visit to Audi to see if the system can be unlocked, no doubt this will cost a lot as well.

i will put up a new post after speaking with them, I don't understand why they would put such a poor system in a quality car like this.

Hmmm what a pain. I must admit I've not heard the Bose system in an A7 but usually you expect Bose stuff to be pretty reasonable....

Looking forward to hearing how you get on at Audi.

• 10 months later...

Must say I'm also disappointed with the Bose system I have a 3 month old A7 and its so poor, before I had a BMW 320D M sport estate with the Harman Kardon system which was far punchier than the Bose, which I think lacks Midrange and Bass. I mainly listen to Melodic Rock etc from my Ipod through the interface. Any ideas anyone ? Thanks Simon

Hi Simon

Not the expert on these audio systems but can you alter the sound output on the iPod (e.g. speakers, surround, bass, club, opera, etc).

May alter the output slightly to improve the bass.

Let us know what you find as useful for other members who may be experiencing this issue.

Cheers  Trevor

I'm going down the route of fitting a new sub unit and amp , a lot of A7 owners in the US have done this , I'm using the Basser custom made mdf enclosure and the following Alpine SWG-1044 10 inch 4 ohm Sub woofer, Alpine MRV-M250 Amp. The whole lot has cost £300. I'll let you know how it goes.

Capture.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering how your work to the sub unit and amp turned out, I've been wanting to give my A7's Bose a boost since I bought it - where did you get the work done and what do you think of the end result?

Well its on hold at the moment because the amp that I purchased was 2nd hand so I sent it back , still waiting for a replacement, the enclosure from the company in Poland has arrived and its extremely well made and finished, there instructions on fitting aren't so good but I will be doing all the wiring and fitting so will post on here.

• Like 1

Thanks. I noticed the same mod by US owners on YouTube and have asked a couple of audio installers what they'd recommend - but didn't get much help! Look forward to hearing how it goes in due course.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick up date , all is fitted It took about 5 hours , I haven't managed to fit the enclosure fully yet few adjustments needed the instructions aren't the best , the sound improvement however is brilliant. So would definitely recommend.

• Like 3

Honestly, I just got my A7 yesterday, played around with the surround level, bass and treble and my Bose system sounds reaaally nice. The bass is good surround sound effective and treble lets me hear those subtle sounds nicely. I'm really pleased with it. I noticed in the original post, next to bass, treble and balance do you not have surround level or BOSE as another icon (on my mmi its the first option)

• 2 years later...

Simon, I've just bought a 2015 A7 SE Exec Quattro with Bose and the sound quality is extremely disappointing - much worse than my previous 9 year old A6 Le Mans. I'd love to know the details of your successful upgrade (where to source, costs etc). Kind regards

• 10 months later...

For those that are interested, here are the specs of the Bose 5.1 system in my 2015 Audi A7 SE. it took a long time and a lot of effort to track them down. I'm looking at the options for replacing or augmenting the subwoofer, which is rubbish. I'll let you know how I get on.

A7 Bose 5.1 description.pdf A7 Bose specification 2015.pdf

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey fellow Audi Enthusiasts 

I just picked up a 2017 S7 and I’m experiencing the same disappointment with the Bose system

I have never been a Bose fan but this is about the worst quality I’ve ever heard 

I continually by myself tweaking the limited controls are offered to just the sound with little improvement

Anybody have any updated solutions to recommend for under 500.00?