SAT NAV/ RNS-E UNIT PROBLEM

Ralph

Hi, 

I have an A4 Cab 2004.  The SatNav (RNS-E) has developed a fault.  After about 20 - 30 mins into a journey (different ones obviously) the route stops being displayed and  the display sends a message saying load DVD.  This is then followed by various other messages.  Even if the DVD is ejected and reloaded it still will not work.  The display stops sliding open and the unit fails to change to radio or CD.  After the ignition has been switched off for 10 mins repeat the above.  The DVD is less than a year old and has remained in the SatNav all the time.  No signs obvious damage.

I am assuming that it is a DVD player fault.  Is this a simple problem to fix? If not then i have seen a number of replacement units offering all of the features of the above with other features such as WiFi, Bluetooth, Touch screen and so on.  In sum better that the current one i have.

Are these systems easy to fit, a simple case of remove the old unit, plug the new on in and away you go?

I have a ToTom which i can attach to the screen but it looks naff.

Any help/advice is received with much thanks.

Ralph

Hello Ralph, it's probably easier and less expensive to buy a replacement rather than fixing, do you know anyone that has the same dvd unit to try or have you looked at an exact replacement. 

11 hours ago, Brucielee said:

Hello Ralph, it's probably easier and less expensive to buy a replacement rather than fixing, do you know anyone that has the same dvd unit to try or have you looked at an exact replacement. 

Agreed

Hi again,  

My gut feeling is that it is the DVD player.  I will have a look around the village and see if i can find someone with the same unit.

Going back to my question are the non Audi replacements easy to fit, a case of premove old unit plug in new unit and away you go?

Ralph

not just as easy as a plug and play ralph, unfortunately there arent too many replacements if any that will just slot in and play, 

this isnt to scare you off from doing the replacement

youll need to know your sound system whether its fully or part amplified, or a bose system, a bose system is easily identified by the speaker covers, it normally says on them bose, youll need a wiring adapter for that, youll need an aerial amplifier, all can be got quite easily on thE bay and fairly inexpensive too, you will lose the key on/off function unless you wire it seperately, 

see if you can find someone first with the same, you wouldnt want to throw your money away if it happens to be something else, i would doubt it but better safe than sorry i suppose