Why Audi???

Hi Y'all

I'm just about to buy an Audi again after a five year break and wondered why others are attracted to the marque???

I've been driving for 40 years (old bugger) and the only serial-buying I've done before has been Merc estates ( 4 of them) starting with a 200TE in 1990.. Great cars and got me hooked on premium German engineering but my need for a load-lugger  is over.

Back in the mid 90's I had a temporary loan (2 months) of an Audi A4 2.4 manual as my company car was being ordered. Both the wife (having her approve is very important as we share our cars) really liked it. I loved the styling of the original A4s and the peppy 2.4 six and the  fawn leather interior made it a really enjoyable experience.

Fast forward to 2002 and the wife's Golf Cabriolet needed changing with the arrival of sprog number 2 and a "sensible" hatchback was on the cards. It also needed to carry my wife's huge working kit in the boot section (expensive items so could not be carried with the back seats down). We had seen the A2 in a showroom and were impressed by the quality, the aluminum technology   and the (then) very futuristic styling (we forget how much of an impact the look of this and the Merc A Class has a the time) and by chance Audi decided to offload a batch of brand-new A2s on the market at a huge discount ( they weren't selling very well when a Toyota Yaris was 70% of the new price with similar performance specifications on paper)...and enjoyed 12 years of this legendary car until a 17 year old "hot-rodder" decided to wipe it out on a roundabout...grr

With the A2 well out of production we opted to replace it with a Merc A Class - nice but nowhere near as good a car as our trusty A2.

Which brings me to today,,,,kids grown up and the wife wanting to go back to convertible motoring our choices were;

A Merc 200SLK Kompressor Convertible

A BMW 120I Convertible

An Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Convertible.

Merc was ruled out as although a formidable car it was hard if not impossible to get a manual and it's a bit too big (also the image is a bit retired-golf-club-frequenter for me).

BMW looked to be the winner (*gasp!*) as I also had the requirement of occasionally towing a 1000kg boat and trailer combo and the RWD and extra weight of the BMW seemed to count in it's favour for this.,,,,,and then I talked to my neighbour who hates his 2008 BMW 320 estate because of constant coil and injector failings that's driven him to despair....When I looked into it BMWs with four pot 1.8. and 2.0  seem to have a terrible history of expensive failures once the cars have done over 50k miles, since this mainly seems to affect those made between 2008 and 2012 (ie just the years I would be buying) I dropped the idea like a hot sauerkraut ... I've recently got rid of a "nothing but trouble" car so...never again!!!

So A3 Convertible wins by a mile! ...secretly I'm, pleased as I never saw myself as a "Beemer Boy" ..

Sorry to go on! 

What's your story???

Hi Ross

It looks like you made a wise decision based on the facts you gathered prior to throwing good money at a particular brand of car.

I think everyone has a 'wish list' to fulfil when choosing a particular car. Mine have changed over the years from the 'sound of a V8' and huge power / acceleration to now being 'how many miles to the gallon can I get' and wallowing around in comfort :yes:

I think its an age thing for me!

Best Regards    Trevor - Admin

• 1 month later...

Part of my reason for choosing Audi this time round was desirability.  Much of my background opinion was based on experience when I was younger.  My dad (God rest him), was a dealer for VAG back in the day and his garage dealt with VW and Audi.  I have many fond memories of various Audi Quattro, S2, 80, 100 etc from my younger years, and always enjoyed them.

• Specific reasons for choosing my current car?
  • Comfort (this is a very comfortable car)
  • Looks (it's a cab, what's not to like)
  • Power (3.0, 217bhp - cannot complain!)

So far, so good :)  I suspect I will stick with the marque for some time yet.

• Like 1

Ive always liked my cars but never enough to get excited about them until recently.  A few friends at work love their motors and one bloke is selling his 57 plate audi a4 TDI 140 next summer.  He has had the car for about 5 years and has babied it (probably too much) from 27,000 to 57,000 miles.  He never guns it, always serviced it, and its in perfect condition.  The man wont even take it to ASDA, he goes in wifes car.  He knew I wanted a bigger car and will be giving me first refusal on it next year.

As for now, my girlfriend is pregnant, and has 2 kids from a previous relationship.  So my need for a bigger car become more immediate.  I could have gone for a focus or an astra, but I thought I might aswell go for a car I really wanted.

I ended up buying my Audi A3 1.8 TFSI sportback, and I am loving it.  For 6.5k (Ford Fiesta + £3k) its one hell of an upgrade.  German engineering, a car thats fun to drive, and will hold more of its value than many other cars.  Sure its not the popular TDI, but how many of us need a TDI? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First saw my Audi A6 3.0 TDI Le Mans Sline Quattro on a 57 plate on a 2nd hand car forecourt with a price tag of £10, 500 and thought nice car but out of my price range, i passed this car sales everyday and over the the coming weeks noticed the price dropping when i saw it at £8,500 i know then i had the have it, so took the wife up to view it and knew right away she was not impressed lol we have always had big family cars 7 seaters etc even though its only me the wife and 3 kids, extra seats were for taking the kids friends out on day trips.

i was sick of practical family cars and just wanted something that had that look of class, this car came along at the right time and i think was meant to be mine :)

after some tactical sulking from me the wife let me get it so traded in our loved Mitsubishi Grandis for £2000 part ex and got the Audi for £6,500 which i thought was a bargain 

So far i can not find nothing to complain about its a great family car with the added bonus of style and speed (when the wife is not in the car lol)

4 hours ago, Trevor said:

lol....tactical sulking...love it !

Sounds like you've got a great car there...pop up a picture of it if you like, would be great to see it.

Recently had its MOT and passed with no advisories so looking forward to many years driving with this car, at some point i want to replace the alloys as their showing there age 

13996243_534311140099974_5021936263984798414_o.jpg

13975409_534311290099959_5080224065015267714_o.jpg

13988291_534311136766641_2841239085446468915_o.jpg

• Like 1