q7 intermittent starting problem

daily

can anyone help my q7 has a intermittent starting issue it runs fine but now and again it just turns the engine but wont fire after roughly 15 mins its starts and runs fine. audi cant find any faults please help me on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kenneth...welcome to the Club!

It sounds like a Crankshaft Sensor if the engines turning but not firing as the sensor feeds info to the ECU to control spark and fuel so if you're not getting those then it won't run. Worth checking for a scope waveform or live data from the sensor before condemning though.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor - Admin

• 1 month later...

Bit late to the party.

I had very similar problems, would crank for 10-14 seconds before starting, only happened randomly, progressively happened more and more until...

New starter motor solved it.

Now starts in <1 second, hot cold or otherwise

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 28/07/2016 at 9:35 PM, daily said:

can anyone help my q7 has a intermittent starting issue it runs fine but now and again it just turns the engine but wont fire after roughly 15 mins its starts and runs fine. audi cant find any faults please help me on this.

My Q7 is having the same issue. Runs fine. Sometimes refuses to start (this has happened only when engine is still hot). Engine cranks for about 2 seconds and stops (no firing at all). It's not the starter motor as cranking speed is very good. This has started to happen after replacing my battery (could be a coincidence). Also, I've noticed that the led in the door doesn't flash when you lock it through the fob (it remains solid red). The car, however starts if you leave it for 15 minutes.

Could it be something related to immobiliser? Did you manage to solve the issue in your Q7? 

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi I have the same issue with my q7 fires for 2 secs then  nothing but I could leave it 15 mins and starts fine runs fine their is no rhythm or rhyme to when it will do it sometimes starts after 15 mins but has taken up to a couple of hours ,it’s been in the garage for a week and they can’t find a fault 

any idea on the fault or has anyone solved their issue 

cheers ash 

• 4 weeks later...