Judder in Steering - On and off! - Advice required plz

Swift_Sline

Hi guys,

Audi Newbie!....I need some good advice please on my recent purchase of my Audi Sline 2008 B8 Model 90k.

Symptoms are:

I have this issue where I get some quite bad juddering coming up through the steering wheel. More evident once the brakes are applied. Feels like the disks are warped a lot. It has occurred a around 3-4 times in the last 2 months. This is the thing. Its seems to come and go. I mean its very noticeable, I am talking very noticeable judder. If I pull over, apply the handbrake, switch the engine off. It seems to reduce the judder!

I dont think its balancing as it would happen all the time right? so my gut is telling me its something mechanical. And it doesnt happen all the time. I had it up on the ramps in my local garage and they had a look underneath. Bushes around the tie rods etc are slightly worn but ok. Certainly not completely gone. I will replace in the future. 

I was wondering if anyone here has had this problem before? and give me some guidance. I have a set of the 19 audi alloys on there. 

Thanks in advance people

Barry

HI Barry...welcome to the Forum!

That sounds very odd as if it was warped discs it would occur all the time, albeit with different feedback at varying speeds.

Same with wheel balance, which will always occur at around the same speed and you can drive past it by going faster.

But your problem is strange if its intermittent...would check to see if anything is loose as opposed to worn (if it was worn the fault would be there all the time)

Keep us informed on how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor - Admin