brilliant red colour match LY3J

SteveA3

i purchased my sportback knowing there was lacquer perl on the rear bumper,fancied having a go at respray if the bumper myself ( here's were it's gone wrong) went to halfords for their colour match of audi brilliant red after a weekend of trying to get the finished article i now have what looks like a deep orange rear bumper how they can say it's a colour match is beyond me spoke to the manager he wants to look at the car tomorrow ,so what i'm asking is ,is there a brilliant red spray can out there that actually does what it says on the tin ? TIA 

Steve 

Hello Steve,

As it happens, I also have a Brilliant Red Sportback and have recently done some aerosol spray work on the car - in my case the front bumper- but I also have to do the rear bumper due to lacquer peel. Before we go on, I believe this lacquer peel is aggravated by the now very popular cheap car wash systems which use pressure washers. Cheap they may be , and they do a good job of making the car look good, but the trade off can be the adverse effect on the paintwork. If it doesn't actually lift the lacquer, it can cause it to go milky after sometime. I was surprised to learn that the undiluted cleaner used can literally take the skin off your hands, so if the dilution is worked out by the bucket and shovel method! then it's possible the paintwork is going to suffer. Not saying they are all bad, but for me it's the old bucket, good wax shampoo and hose job.

Anyway Steve, back to reds and matches. Red is notoriously difficult to match and it is worth keeping in mind that small volume aerosol mixes will be very susceptible to minute (drop) differences in the tinters used in the mix. Perhaps stating the obvious, but if you are mixing say a litre then a small difference in tinter volume will not be so noticeable. Mix an egg cup full and minute differences are very much noticeable. It's down to the mixer and the accuracy of the equipment. Yes they will tell you red fades and they may admit to red being difficult to match, but....

I obtained my larger aerosol from a local paint supplier ( try googling your area for car paint suppliers) and although not perfect, is pretty good and you would not stop a galloping horse to find where the new and old meet. As it happens mine was a little darker, whereas yours is a bit lighter. Matching car paint is an art, and you will find that most body shops will spray into the next panel to take your eye off where you would expect the mis-match to be. 

You need (and they should be able) to get it fairly close, but if you look at any car - even brand new- you will find colour mis-matches between main bodies and bumpers, which I think is due to the bumpers being sprayed in volume, separated from the main bodywork.

Not sure how much if this helps Steve.

Goid lovk and kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Guest fubar77

Audi paints are high quality so you need to take the code to a automotive paint shop (such as Colourtone etc) and have them mix that exact paint code. if you are spraying 1K aerosols (which are really good these days) you might want to invest in a 2K Aerosol clearcote too.