ignition malfunction

chrisjenson1978

hi my first post hi to everyone and also many thanks in advance..

i have a audi a5 2.0 tfsi i have had a issue with the warning symbol coming up with ignition malfunction " key symbol with cross" now i did the normal thing bought a replacement key slot/grab/mechanism as audi said common problem easy to swap etc which it was unfortunately 60 pound plus vat waste of time i still have it on every start up? i have cleaned the key and have just the 1 house key on it now? do i need vag com to clear code as i got told no dont need it or is there another problem !

now bare in mind this! i upgraded to the facelift back lights and well all i can say it was a coding nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!! and as it got fixed in the garage thats when the warning came on? now has something happend or is it just chance this has done it any help would be cool

on a second note since upgrading the facelift back lights my internal blinkers flash like mad but all indicators flash normal on the out side ! gulp

Hi...and welcome to the Forum

I would say that you have an issue with resistances on the rear lights and may need a resistor pack in-line to sort that problem....worth looking on ebay for one.

The key problem sounds like it could be that the key has lost it identification and it would be worth getting it into the garage again so they can scan it to find out the exact cause and hopefully only a case of recoding it to the vehicle.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers  Trevor

hi trvor many thanks for the warm welcome,the key works fine and unlocks etc and does everything its supposed to ,i am guessing as you said a coding issue when the garrage has coded my lights,i will see if i can get my good friend again to use is vag com and scan and report back regards

any idea on the flashing fast internal blinkers?

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that is again coding in the Can Bus system that senses a low resistance in the indicators (going from bulbs to LED) ... if the external flashers don't flash erratically then maybe not so much an issue as the external lights are the ones they check on the MOT test although the warning lamp should be illuminating I'm not sure that it has to comply with the 60-120 flashes per minute ruling.