Oil leaking from Q7??

BHB

I'm thinking of buying a 2011 Q7 3.0TDI. Went for a test drive today. Great vehicle with a lot of extras. Full Audi history. Has had a fair bit of work Carried out, EGR Valve, Head Gasket, and a seal between the engine and the gearbox replaced. 

I noticed a small oil leak at the rear of the engine bay, slightly on the left, passenger side. Prob under the gearbox area. I know this points to one thing especially as the seal mentioned above was replaced just recently by Audi. I am due to look at the vehicle again tomorrow and need to decide whether to buy or not. Can anyone give any advice or tips on what this leak may be. It's very small and there isn't a large pool underneath. 

If the seal is away again between the engine and gearbox then surely this would point towards a bigger problem than originally thought? So maybe a seal is not the answer  

Any advice would be very much appreciated as I don't want to get bitten but totally love the Q7. 

Thanks. 

Hello,

I suppose such decisions ultimately boil down to what the individual feels he wants to do, and it's easy to fall in love with a particular vehicle and all its impressive extras etc., and not bother to delay a decision while other similar vehicles are looked at.

This is certainly not going to be of much use, but if it were me, I would be tempted to run away from it once I knew the engine had been pulled apart to change the head gasket. Why? If this is not concerning enough, then changing the - rear crankshaft seal? - and then being uncertain if it has been successful in sorting the original issue?? For me, too many points of possible concern to delay me looking at other examples, but as I say the final decision rests with the potential buyer.

Apologies if this comes over as a little hash and unhelpful, but it might be worth sleeping on it for a couple of nights.

If you decide to consider it, then it would certainly be advisable to talk with the previous (long term?) owner. If short term - why? If the dealer is unable to put you in touch, then it may be even more questionable.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I agree with Gareth....if there is an oil leak on a vehicle of that age, then it is not a good one to start with as if it is a crank/gearbox seal it would be extremely expensive to replace if you had to get it done yourself (e.g. no warranty on it as it is wear and tear).

Maybe worth considering one that doesn't have many previous issues and oil leaks ?