A3 S-Line economy

gunthos

I've recently bought an a3 sline 2.0 tdi sportback, before buying I looked at the MPG figures which were really impressive, however since I've had it a full tank doesn't seem to last that long and the number of miles to re fuel seems to go down quite quickly and doesn't seem in relation to my actual mileage. Anyone have similar issues or is there any advice to maximise economy? Thanks 

Could be related to dieselgate. If it's had the recall the mpg will be shocking. 

Does it have adblue for the dpf? If not it will be dumping extra fuel in when regenerating the dpf which isn't covered when the official mpg figures are released. 

My suggestion would be to get it remapped, for economy if that's your main focus or a mixed one for power/economy will still see improvements. 

There are of course other things. Like filters and sensors, etc. A dodgy temp sensor or maf, etc will affect fuel economy but would likely throw a  fault. You could get it plugged in for a check if you don't have the software yourself. 

• Like 1

Hi Matt....welcome to the Forum

There are several factors affecting mpg....weight inside the car (e.g. stuff in the boot), tyre pressures, full tank of fuel (equivalent to the weight of another passenger), quality of engine oil, and so much more.

However, as rbdazza  has stated, a remap would certainly improve the economy...worth looking into.

Cheers  Trevor

Diesel particulate filter. It collects soot around town then burns it off on the motorway. They either use ad blue which is an additive that aids combustion or post combustion injection of diesel. Seeing as you don't know I'd say it doesn't have ad blue! 

Check the the basics first mate then go from there.