Rear Wiper Random Behaviour

Farleyjim

For some unknown reason my rear wiper has started to have a mind of its own. It will  not park in the right place and will not sweep intermittently.  It even starts itself  without me touching the switch.Does anybody have any ideas what to do? 

Thanks

Hi Jim...welcome to the Forum

It could be either electrical short circuit...check the wiring in the rubber trunking as it goes into the tailgate as it can get damaged as it articulates when opened and closed.

Let us know what you find

Cheers  Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks Trevor. The cable loom is buried inside  the tailgate hinge on this car  which means stripping off the trim so I'll do that when the weather is a bit warmer!

I forgot to mention that the rear wiper starts up directly I turn the ignition on, without me touching the switch. It does about 10 sweeps and then "parks where it pleases".  I just hope the problem is not the switch itself because it seems quite a work up to change that. I was hoping that somebodymay have solved a similar problem. I'll keep you posted.

Regards

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I  tried all sorts of things, finally changing  the motor. Having done that I tinkered with the old one and discovered corrosion on the circuit board where the four pin connector plugs, in. The dilemma now is whether it now works correctly. The new one is now in situ and given the work of taking all the trim off again, I'm not prepared to reinstall the old one. I'll test it on the bench. Incidentally, I couldn't believe the variation in price from £40(which I paid) right up to £190! Now all satisfactory.

There are some very good instructional videos on YouTube. 

Cheers

Jim