Steering vibration / judder at low speeds

Jaxo

Hi all, I recently bought an 09 Avant 2.0T Sline.. Didn't really notice it at first but the past week there is an odd vibration / judder when steering the car at low speeds.. (basically when moving off or parking)..

It almost seems like the power steering is struggling to turn the wheels.. This only happens at idle engine speeds when stopped or when travelling slowly. If I Rev the engine a little or when I driving the car it goes away.. 

Not sure if my car is idling too low (700ish rpm) and this is starving the ps of power or if it's something with the PS itself.. 

Ive read a few different stories about hoses on 2.0T petrol models needing replaced but not sure if this is the prob or not.. 

Has Anyone ideas what would be causing this as the car is under warranty and would like to get this sorted before or runs out :-) 

Jaxo

Hi Jack....welcome to the Forum

Is the fluid level low or is the fluid cavitating (frothing) if so, then air is being introduced into the system.

700rpm is about right but you could see if you can raise it slightly

I have this exact problem on my tdi. I'm putting it down to either a belt or low fluid. Those would be my starting points. 

However. As you have warranty your best bet would be take it in and see what they have to say

• Like 1