Retro fitting of Sat Nav

apj fcca

Hello All

I have just purchased a lovely A4 S Line registered in 2011.

It has come with no Sat Nav and the local Audi dealer has told me that it cannot be fitted as it does not have the "wiring" or the aerial fitted ?

Is this correct ?  I have a car with a 25K list price and the dealership told me to stick a tom tom tom to the windscreen ?

I would like one fitted - is the dealer fitted option out of the question ?

Thanks

apj

I think in the long term the TomTom is most definitely the best route...free updates, unlike Audi, no horrendous costs for installation and coding up, better option all round 

Thanks Trevor - I just can't believe that the local dealership will not even consider fitting it, and I didn't want to look like a pizza delivery driver by having it stuck to the windscreen !

Yes, going to fit one to my Honda soon as the OE unit is outdated, slow, voice control is rubbish and so many more reasons to make me want to replace it with something that actually works and is bang up to date with technology

Pioneer make the best double din sat nav all in one units. The best one is the AVIC F88. But very pricey. The 780 does almost all the F88 does but I had to pay the extra for the 88 in my T5 because of the angle and the 780 screen disappears when the sun shines on it. Not a problem though in the Audi.

have a look at Absolut5, speak with a boy called Jason and he will give unbiased advice. They also can provide DAB Aerial and the correct wireing harness for your car.

I love my unit, I justified the cost because of Bluetooth and potential 6 points for phone use. Well that's what I told our lass anyway🤥

Thanks Dan - how much are these units that you are talking about - I keep my cars for about 10 plus years so I want the best at a reasonable price - will I have to buy it online and get someone local to me to fit it or should I ask the people I buy the unit from to fit it ?

8 hours ago, Trevor said:

Yes, going to fit one to my Honda soon as the OE unit is outdated, slow, voice control is rubbish and so many more reasons to make me want to replace it with something that actually works and is bang up to date with technology

Thanks Trevor - your help and advice has been invaluable - I just need pointing in the right direction !

2 hours ago, apj fcca said:

Thanks Dan - how much are these units that you are talking about - I keep my cars for about 10 plus years so I want the best at a reasonable price - will I have to buy it online and get someone local to me to fit it or should I ask the people I buy the unit from to fit it ?

TBH not cheap. But I will take it with me when I sell the T5 for the next one. I have SAt nav built into the A6 already and other than an aux socket it will do for the minimal miles I do in that each year. About 5k. Compared to the 50k in the bus!! 

I paid, r u sitting down!! £900 for the AVIC F88. But it really is the very best on the market. Easy to use etc etc etc. If I keep it for 10 years that's £90 a year for the best.

i think you can get the F980 for approx £700, Like I mentioned before it's basically a different screen and this is the model I would have had. Also the AVIC F80 is about £800. 

fitted it myself in approx 90 mins but it may be a little easier in the T5 than you car. As I said give Absolut5 a ring (01980 624740) and they will give you the correct advice for your cars requirements. Plus other units that might also tick all the right boxes. But I say again you can't beat the pioneer units at the moment for all round performance.

best of luck.