A4 Avant what to look out for

Carl_P

Hi all, I'm seriously considering an A4 Avant, probably 2011/12 model, as a replacement to my Honda Civic, primarily for its load carrying capabilities and because it looks rather nice!

I've never owned an Audi before so would appreciate a few comments, thoughts and advice on what to look out for:

- it seems most Audis have high mileages, do I need to be concerned with this providing the service history is present?

- My annual mileage is actually well below average and to be honest I probably don't need a diesel, but most used Audis are. I'll be doing the occasional university trip (hence size of car required) but other than that it will be short commutes. Will I actually do the diesel engine more harm than good? My Civic is a diesel but I seem to have got away with it.

- The S Line model seems to be extremely popular although some reviews remark that the ride is very firm. One of the things I'm not keen on the Civic is that it's a hard ride, so is the S line a bit unforgiving?

- What are main things I should look out for when considering a used A4?

- What's the recommended cambelt replacement period and what is the likely cost?

Thanks for reading.

Dealer will say cambelt needs changing every 5 years or 75k miles, although handbook will say 133k miles. From Audi the cam belt and water pump is about 600 quid.

The roads are a bit rubbish up here where I am to say the least and yes the s-line rides a little firm but being the A6 I have it's not that bad compared to a smaller car. But if your used to that in a civic it won't be any worse in an A4 for you! The longer wheelbase will help with that compared to what your used too in the civic.

In my opinion mileage is not something that turns me away from cars that are as well engineered as these. The most important thing is correct oil usage and frequent enough oil changes. Get an app like TotalCarCheck, you can see the MOT history and importantly if any advisors like bushes etc where actually done or not. If not then u might need to budget for them on the next MOT.

There are so many out there to choose from, be picky and go for a model you want irrespective of mileage. Then just make sure service book and receipts look as they should.

regarding low mileage on a derv. I would be using a good oil and changing oil every 10-12k (ignoring long life service). Only real issue is likely to be the DPF so a forced regen by driving in a lower gear, 4th or 5th to keep the revs high for 4-5 mins will help keep the DPF clear.

Good luck what whatever you do mate

• Like 1

I had a 2008 s-line 2.0T TFSI Avant for 6 years and the only thing I would  is that it was a firm ride but not uncomfortable. Some of the cars

around that age did suffer from excessive oil consumption I believe but did not affect my car so really only have good things to say about

it. In that particular car,  it would have beneficial to have been a  Quattro as in the wet it was too easy to spin a wheel.

Good luck with the hunt

cheers