egr blanking plate

cypher007

pre-empting things a bit, but I'm considering using a partial blank on a 2012 2.0 tdi. to make sure it doesn't screw the dpf, as its had the dreaded update.

anyone tried running with a blank? on my old 1.9tdi's they were both solid blanks and seemed to keep the intake nice and clean.

This can be done however you need to get the vehicle remapped. The modern ecus pull data from the dpf and egr for the running of the engine. So if you remove them without doing a remap the engine light will come on. 

I believe in the older engines such as the 1.9 the system was vacuum operated so it was a lot easier to trick the ecu unlike the new stuff which is all electronic and sensor controlled if that makes sense. 

Cheers

steve

what about using a partial blank? like the egr fix for PD engines that have an electronic actuator. some suggest an 8mm hole while others use a 5mm.

in your opinion would buying an A5 to do short journeys to work of 50/50 highway cruise and town over 5 miles be a recipe for disaster, if it has been updated.

10 minutes ago, cypher007 said:

what about using a partial blank? like the egr fix for PD engines that have an electronic actuator. some suggest an 8mm hole while others use a 5mm.

in your opinion would buying an A5 to do short journeys to work of 50/50 highway cruise and town over 5 miles be a recipe for disaster, if it has been updated.

Iv worked both in vehicle sales and Volkswagen service department and I would advise you to buy a petrol for the type of driving your doing.

The reason I say that is because the Diesel engine won't get up to a decent operating temperature. This means that the dpf cannot burn off the particulates and the dpf will just build up with carbon/soot. 

Once the dpf gets full it will break and at which point your eml light will come on and you'd loose power. If you do buy a diesel then you need to give it a good run on a motorway to allow the vehicle to do a regeneration on the dpf. The regeneration basically clears out the particulates out of the dpf. 

Cheers

steve 

I thought about this, but the petrol cars don't do the same to the gallon, plus the new TSI engines seem to have issues with oil consumption.

I'm wondering, is it possible to display the dpf percentage via a secret menu on the car? as I have heard its possible to see it via the VCDS diag software.

That is true. But it's a trade off. I.e. Diesel=better fuel economy but risk of egr or dpf failure where as petrol=less fuel economy but no risk if egr or dpf failure. I agree though the oil consumption can be a concern.

But to be fair my dad has had a 2013 1.6tdi a3 and now has a 2016 Passat 2.0tdi both of which use oil. This came as a surprise as the a6 I'm using which is my dads old car doesn't use any oil (touch wood!) despite covering over 323,000 miles. 

I don't know about the secret menu but when the car is getting to approx 75% full it will come up with a warning light on the dash. 

Cheers

steve

assuming the answer to both of those questions is yes; a partial block won;t do anything other than maybe keep your intake a lot cleaner, it can still fail, kick up a fault and cost you dosh. just take the car for a remap and have the EGR disabled, you will also get back some of that fuel economy lost from the emissions update.

on to your second point regarding your driving style. i agree, that is better suited to a petrol car. i don;t think you can show DPF info on the in car display, but you can see it in VCDS. if you wait for the dash light to come on before trying to give it a blast down the motorway you will most definitely have problems. 

My advice would be, if you haven't bought it yet, buy a petrol. if you have bought it, get an EGR/DPF delete and remap and save yourself the inevitable hassle.

just to update. went and got me deposit back today.

now going to go and cry in a darkened room. been wanting one of these for years since seeing them appear on the roads.

oh well going to go and look at a SEAT Toledo TSI. doesn't look as good but will at least run right.

7 hours ago, cypher007 said:

just to update. went and got me deposit back today.

now going to go and cry in a darkened room. been wanting one of these for years since seeing them appear on the roads.

oh well going to go and look at a SEAT Toledo TSI. doesn't look as good but will at least run right.

Sorry if I put you off :/ 

as dan said the Toledo is a good car :) 

thanks guys.

the problem was I was maxing myself to buy it and wouldn't have had anything left to spend on EGR/DPF remapping. plus I recon the GOV will start making it part of the MOT to have a working DPF. as it wouldn't take much to detect a knocked out dpf with the current testing machines.

strangely I'm now looking at a VOVO S60 D4. spoken to a few owners and it seems these are ok as long as they have had the latest EGR fix.

nearly £2K cheaper done 43k miles 2014. amazing economy and £0 road tax. I like the Toledo, we have an 03 plate that weve owned since 2008, but I don't know its just not that great a drive on long journeys and the petrol is but the looks of it slow, 9.9 to 62mph.

anyway thanks for all your support. really gutted about the car.