Stop Start

PANYAN21

Hi All

Has anyone had a problem with the stop start system. My wife and i have had problems approaching a  junction where the engine cuts out when we try to pull away it's been back to Audi and they have given it a full check over and can't find anything wrong . They say we may have to alter our way of driving as the 2017 models can start the stop start system anything below 7km per hour. i find this a bit concerning as twice it's put us in a dangerous traffic position.

Cheers 

There was a similar thread on the A6 C7 forum but the OP declined to offer any further update. 

My 2016 A6 will cut out coasting up to stopped traffic, lights etc. It did take some getting used to but I find it ok for if you had to change direction quickly this would bring the engine back to life smartish. 

No worries. It can be disconcerting at first but you get used to it.

Not like cars of old where the braking servo assist would die as soon as the engine stopped. 

If you have hill assist this is a nice feature. When you have pulled up and engine stopped you can take your foot off the brake and wait. When ready to pull away dap throttle and engine will start, press further and hill hold will release and you are away. 

Another surprise you may not have had yet is when you have pulled up and engine has stopped - you have not got out of car yet and are chatting through the window. All of a sudden car decides enough is enough and starts engine again. 

These forums are a font of knowledge and why I am here too. Enjoy the car.

Hi Edward. I have only had my A3 for two weeks so I am still trying to work out how to control the stop start. The manual says if you brake gently the stop start should not kick in, but I have found no matter how gently I brake the engine still cuts out. I have noticed that if I take my foot off the brake as soon as I stop the engine fires up immediately. Now all I need to learn is how stop it cutting out in the first place.

Do you have manual or automatic? With a manual stop start should only work when you are in neutral with your foot off the clutch (it was on my X1 anyway). Autos seem to have a mind of their own.

Thinking about this, is it the stop start kicking in or is the engine stalling under load? I never had problems with my A4 or Tiguan but my last car (BMW X1 18d) would often stall if I tried to pull away in 2nd from anything less than about 5mph especially if it was even slightly uphill. Is this down to the manufacturers detuning their engines to improve emissions at the expense of flexibility?