My 2004 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

gokiwi64

When I got my A3 it wasnt my first choice , I had come from a Seat Leon Cupra R but couldn't find what I wanted so choose the A3.

It wasn't in brilliant condition but had less than average miles so was worth a punt. I had done a fair bit of research so was aware of the issues the V6 suffers from, Its does have the DSG gearbox which is fun.

After I got it home (went to look at it in the rain - very bad mistake), I discovered it had a bit of rust on the lower door edges and the lower wings, it also had 22 error codes , one of which was the dreaded cam chain tensioner/stretch issue. the other issues included but not limited to, seized rear caliper and ruined disk, lambda sensor failure, camshaft position sensor failure, battery box full of water and so on.

As of today I now only have a single code for a failed lambda sensor (its well and truly stuck in the header and has defied most things to remove it)and the rust (currently looking at this).

Currently the car has a cone type filter fitted and am looking at changing the exhaust and stiffer ARB's.You cannot really tune these (unless you go down the F.I route) but Im happy with the power its got (which isnt to terrible for a big heavy understerry 4wd) , I,m more after chasing the soundtrack hence the airfilter and exhaust change.

Its also the 1st "blue" car i've ever owned and my first Audi :-) 

I thought you might like to see some in progress pictures

IMG_20170619_203056.jpg

IMG_20170926_101708.jpg

IMG_20170430_121224 (1).jpg

IMG_20170330_084526 (1).jpg

Nice work there Scott! :) Sounds like your project is coming g together and I hope it turns out to be a good choice for you and hope you feel you made the right choice switching to Audi :) 

The dsg box is a cracking bit of kit and I do like the colour :) 

Rust on Audi's of this era are common on the front wings and this is also seen on other vag cars, predominantly Volkswagens of the same era. If your getting rust on the wing at the bottom near to wear it meets the door it is often caused by much, leaves etc which has got trapped and has allowed moisture/water to get stuck. Your best bet is taking the wheel arch lin out and having a look. Usually rust will appear at the centre of the wing (arch part) this is due to a piece of foam which was used as sound deading but naturally attracts moisture. I've had this on my a6 and ended up.having 2 new wings. 

I believe the rust on the bottoms of the doors is a common issue too, on various Audi models of this era as IV had this on my a6 front doors but had it rectified. 

Hope IV helped :) 

Cheers

Steve