1.9 TDI Quattro Avant .....what to do?

Durbz

Hi guys just after some advice, a lady last week kindly drove into the front drivers side wing/bumper/light whilst it was parked up luckily I was stood at the back of the car. Apparently she didn't see it!!!! long story short the garage through her insurance have said to repair so far the bills at £1900 without even investigating the strange knock it's developed since she hit it on the wheel too. The car cost me around £2000 in September and was in A1 condition with 126k on the clock on an 03 plate. My worry is what may happen now? I think they may write it off due to the costs now but I really liked it. Just looked on the trader and theres none on other than a tatty one in Huddersfield:-( If they do make me an offer I won't be able to get anything on par will I? and the 2.0 tdi is well over my budget atm. Never had a bump so just after some help please. Regards Durbz

Hi Paul

Surely it should be your insurance company organising the repair, not hers?

Anyway, sadly the issue, as an insurance repair, will have a limit as to how much the insurance companies will be willing to pay out, otherwise the vehicle will be written off. There may be an option for you to buy the vehicle back off the insurance company and carry out the repairs yourself, but it will forever have a "Category A/B/C/D write off" marker against it meaning that the insurance for this car will mostly likely be affected for all of time, and will also have an effect on any resale value of the car.

Just remember that if they do write it off and offer you an amount, you do NOT have to accept it especially if there are other circumstances which may mean they should be offering more (e.g. high quality condition of car). A good thing would be to find identical cars for sale with similar mileage/condition as yours (forget how how far away they are from you, it's purely to get an accurate value). My nephew recently done this when his car was written off by another driver - he's 18 years old, so the insurance company tried to offer him too little, so he got prices and went back to them with these and they offered a higher amount which he accepted.