The Forums

Arcaned

Iv just signed up and been having a look around the forums. Iv noticed that there seems to be a lack of activity/members. I think this site need's a good kick as it has alot of potential and the first free sign-up forum for Audi's that i have come across. I don't mind doing abit of advertising on my facebook account to try and bring some activity onto the site. Sorry if i give off a bad impression but it's hard to come across a website associated with a single make of car as most sites are for any car owners/cruisers. To get all the knowledge Audi owners need are from other Audi owners which there seems to be a lack of here. Iv ran IPB a while ago and understand how long and hard it is to gather such good members but i don't mind helping if need be.

Im good with photoshop so can help out with any images/member sig pics etc. I will sort some out and upload them shortly so you can see the type of work i can do.

Hi Steve, i will see what i can do to try and improve things. Would be a good start to find out how many active members there are of these forums. If all member who view these forums can drop a quick post so we can see who are active and who are not we can get the ball rolling :)

• 3 weeks later...

For some strange reason some photo's won't upload. There the same size photos and format as the ones that it would let me upload so can't see why it's being random and rejecting some photos. Any chance you could look into this for us Steve?

can you upload the ones that get rejected on their own?

what sort of size are they in data size and also what dimensions?

Steve, now that you have mentioned it iv just checked the photos that won't upload and there around 3MB so im guessing the limit is capped? The photos that uploaded ok are under 2MB which could explain why.

I will shrink them down in size and try again

hi mate

I think you'll find uploadeing via php scripts has a 2mg limit. Unless they change the cap on the server most will be around 2mb limit.

Do you know of any small software resizing programs we could promote to help users resize their images?

hi mate

I think you'll find uploadeing via php scripts has a 2mg limit. Unless they change the cap on the server most will be around 2mb limit.

Do you know of any small software resizing programs we could promote to help users resize their images?

Yeah i think the cap seems to be the problem with photos. I took the photos with an Iphone which only takes photos with 1 setting (very large) lol.

The only way i know off the top of my head for resizing photos is by using paint, but pretty much everyone has the program installed in windows and it's a very simple process. I will quickly write a how-to for the members who don't know.

1/ Open Paint.

2/ Load the photo you want to resize (different methods for doing this which depends on the operating system).

- You can right click the photo you wish to resize and then open with -> paint for a quick way.

3/ If using Windows 7, there is a tab at the top of paint which says [Home View]. Make sure you click Home.

4/ Click Resize (a window will appear)

5/ Keep Percentage checked and change the Horizontal and Vertical values. I put 50 and 50 which will basically resizes the images by 50%

6/ Click Ok

7/ Click the purple disk icon at the top to save the image and your finished.

On windows Vista and older Operating Systems you can click the tabs at the top (can't remember which tab it is exactly but I think it 's Edit, we can edit this post once we find out for definate). You then need to look for something along the lines of Resize/Skew and follow steps 5 -> 7

• 1 year later...

Hi, I've not used this forum software before so in not familiar with it.

As there isn't a feedback section I'll have to post it here.

I personally think there is too much advertising on the forum and the pages look cluttered with to much distracting you from the actual topic being read.

I first thought this was due to me viewing it on the IPad but I've used the iMac iPad it's the same. I know from first hand experience that the advertising pays for servers, domains and the general up keep etc so it's a prerequisite but in moderation.

Membership takes time but its a gradual process. Remember there are other forums dedicated to certain models like the TTforum for example.

Social media exposure such as twitter and Facebook are free and an ideal source of members.

• 3 months later...

We have been very active on social media channels for a while. This forum is steadily growing too. I think part of the problem might be that we need to start creating posts ourselves in threads like this one. The Club Lounge at present only has 16 or so topics and it's visible when you first load up the page. 

My thought is that it makes the whole forum seem a little dead.

Glen!