1.8 TFSI advice needed

Zs1994

Hello all,

I've had my 1.4 TFSI Sport for around a year now, and taking into consideration insurance and budget, I've more or less decided on a 1.8 TFSI S Line Black Editon. Manual or S Tronic I don't mind. 

I have read of the timing chain and oil issues on some of these engines, but does it affect all of them? Is it a major issue that I should forget buying one? I know these engines are pretty tuneable so I would be looking to remap. 

Spec wise, they aren't that good from what I've been seeing. Heated seats are pretty rare and they're a must for me and are xenons. Anything else I should be looking for? As for viewings, anything in particular I should check for?

Many thanks in advance. 

Welcome to the forum Ali, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) 

You've gone for one of the better specs :) but have to agree heated seats and xenons are rare.

Key thing is check service history, ideally this should be full. If the car has had any oil consumption issues there should be proof in the service history of any work carried out. 

With regard to the s tronic gearbox, make sure the gear changes are smooth both in auto and manual modes and free of an judders as any issues can be expensive to fix. 

Also make sure all electronic items work as some of these can be expensive to fix. This also goes for the air con as compressors etc can be very expensive. 

My order advice would be for you to ask the seller if you can get an independent inspection carried out. Companies such as the AA and RAC offer this service. If the seller is reluctant or refuses then you have to wonder what they or the car has to hide. 

I've found this YouTube video which maybe useful :) 

Hope I've helped :) 

Cheers

Steve