Reversing lights and rear sensors.

Travinsky

New here so bear with me. I have just discovered that my reversing lights and rear sensors are not working. Any idea what's happened before I incur garage bills? 

Hello Trevor, 

First port of call is to consult the handbook and find out which fuse runs the reversing lights, and check that this hadn't blown. If it has, replace it with another of the same value. If that blows - take further advice. 

My guess is that the fuse hasn't blown and that the reversing light switch is probably at fault, but a guess that would be. 

It is possible/probable that the rear sensors are controlled via the reversing light switch. 

If it were mine, I would be looking up a local auto electrician and take it there rather than going through a third party garage. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you for your reply, it looks like a reversing light switch problem. Booked the car in to the garage tomorrow to get it  properly checked out. 

Regards

Trevor

Hello Trevor,

I would not like you to pre judge the cause, based on my assumption. Obviuosly, no one can diagnose such a problem without actually assessing the car. 

Let's hope for a uncomplicated, reasonably priced and relatively economical outcome to this. 

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

The problem according to the garage apparently is that when I put it into reverse the sensor is not recognising it and therefor the reversing light is not coming on and the reversing sensor is not being activated either. Gear box has to come out and the unit has to be sent away. A few hundred pounds of a bill anticipated.