Fitting universal headlight buzzer

Hi

I am new to this forum so hope I have posted to the correct place.  I have a 2004 A4 Avante and the headlight buzzer has stopped working.  My wife has now left the lights on 3 times and flattened the battery.  After a lot of searching, it seems the buzzer is in the instrument cluster and fixing it seems a bit risky.  I have come across a universal kit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Headlight-On-Buzzer-Alarm-Reminder-Kit-Universal-Save-your-car-Battery-/281041160984

which looks like it will do the trick.  I have no real car electrics experience but as far as I can make out, I need to connect the red wire to the live of the headlights (i.e. it is live when the lights are on) and the black one connected to either the door switch (such that it goes to earth when door is opened) or ideally to something that goes to earth when the ignition is turned off.

I have found a few YouTube videos which seem to imply that this can be connected into the fuse board somehow but on the A4 I can't fix out where I would connect it to?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Lee.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Lee, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :) sorry this topic hasn't been responded to yet. 

I would have thought the a4 has a warning buzzer. I know my 2002 a6 does. It might be worth you getting this checked before investing in this universal kit. 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for your reply Steve. It does indeed have one but it has stopped working. To replace it you apparently have to take the instrument cluster out and do some soldering. I thought this after market one might be an easier option. 

Thanks

Lee. 

4 hours ago, leenowelll said:

Thanks for your reply Steve. It does indeed have one but it has stopped working. To replace it you apparently have to take the instrument cluster out and do some soldering. I thought this after market one might be an easier option. 

Thanks

Lee. 

Oh sorry, I missed that boy in your post. 

Yea it definitely will be a solution :) in terms of where to wire it into, is it worth splicing into the wiring for the light switch? I'm not great with wiring I'm affraid. When people are wiring in dash came they piggyback off the cigarette lighter wiring. 

Cheers

Steve