Sat Nav activation

storky

Hi

I'm about to pick up my first Audi at the weekend from my local Audi Dealer. I noticed that SatNav wasn't activated when I took it for a test run. The sales guy seemed a bigger noob than me (he had only worked there for 4 weeks) and quoted me £300 to get it activated. Seemed expensive at the time, although reading other threads on this matter perhaps it now seems a bargain. He also reckoned that I could buy an after market SD card with the maps, failing to realise that it still needs activated by Audi.

Anyway, it turns out the real price is £549 which includes circa 1.3 hours labour.

He was quoting me £300 based on a special deal on some A1 models, however, there would still be an additional £170 installation charge.

In fairness he has given me an option of purchasing my own SD card and getting it activated for a charge of £170 which seems a great deal.

I had a couple of questions:

1. Looking on eBay there seems to be a myriad of cards. Any particular things to look out for? I note there are dates; I assume the later the year the more up-to-date the maps? 

2. Is it straightforward to update the maps? I assume Audi will charge an arm and a leg? Maybe you get so many updates as part of the install price?

Cheers