Hello all, ive recently became a proud owner of 15 year old B6 3.0 petrol convertible and having a huge problems to get a cover. I have my other two classics insured with footmanjames and used them as my everyday cars. i intended to keep the Audi in the garage for sunny days only. Now since i parted with my regular insurer 4 years ago, ive lost my no claim bonus(FJ dont do NCB and they will not insure it as it needs to be 20y old audi to be recognised as a classic) and now quotes are in over 1000quid per year range. Any advice who may give me a reasonable quote here in Northern Ireland? Thanks

Hello Jay,

I sympathise with your plight of not being able to insure a 15 year old occasional-use car under a classic cover. I too have found that most of the volume classic car brokers will not insure vehicles under 20 years old, and it seems they can be selective on what they will cover at 20 anyway!  My long standing broker recently refused to insure a 15 year old MG TF for me, but I did find Peter Best would insure it as part of a deal with the MG clubs.

As you are aware, classic policies do not require, or earn a NCB, and I can only suggest you try all the brokers you can think of to see if any might do you a limited mileage agreed value policy on the car. Adrian Flux comes to mind as worth a try. There will be others. 

Re. your previously earned NCB, again you are no doubt aware that if this is not used against a policy for two years then it elapses. Insurers used to give so called introductory discounts for such cases, and say for ex company car drivers, but not so any longer I believe.

Your car may just come under the heading of a Modern Classic, and there is a magazine published with that title. Could be worth getting a copy and checking with the insurance companies who advertise with them. 

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gareth, getting copy of modern classic today and will also try Peter Best. Adrian flux werent much of help. Those guys made me mad as hell when keeping me on the line for half hour just to say sorry, not old enough. The car, not me ;) ill keep you all updated.

Hello Jay,

Peter Best? - believe they may only have a sub 20 year concession for MGs.

Could also try:- 

Lancaster, Haggerty, Carole Nash, Heritage, Gotte & Wynne, RH; etc. Also, any insurers linked to this forum? 

Some 'everyday' car insurers will also consider doing an additional 'classic' vehicle as an add on you your policy, particular if you have owner-driver (just policy holder covered) on the basis that you can only drive one car at a time! 

Only other suggestion is to try the performance VW websites and forums and magazines, since some of these cars may come under the sub 20year old category. 

Good luck with it, and thanks for being able to update this forum - always useful.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2018 at 7:11 AM, Manci said:

Thanks Gareth, getting copy of modern classic today and will also try Peter Best. Adrian flux werent much of help. Those guys made me mad as hell when keeping me on the line for half hour just to say sorry, not old enough. The car, not me ;) ill keep you all updated.

Hi.

I'm surprised we couldn't help with some kind of premium as we certainly do have classic car schemes that will cover your vehicle. Maybe there were other underwriting reasons why we couldn't help. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to take a look.

Regards,

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...