Just bought an A4 Avant

boffin486

Hello all - I bought an 06 plate S Line A4 Avant 2.0l TFSI Turbo Quattro SE to replace my older Avant Sport Quattro TDi but have to say, after driving it for a week, I'm kinda disappointed with the performance......... It’s not a slouch as such but I expected more from the BUL (220bhp) engine. It's in very nice condition otherwise apart from the usual front arch tin worm & it had quite a bit of work done to it just before I bought it (got all the receipts) which included New Cam Chain/Tensioner, New Oil Pump Drive Chain/Sprockets/Tensioner, New Oil Pump Pick-Up Pipe, New Cam Follower For HP Fuel Pump amongst other things. It also seems to have rather poor fuel economy - best I've managed is 32mpg with virtually no throttle at a reasonably steady 55mph on main road. I had it up on the hoist today & pulled the Turbo Converter Valve expecting the diaphram to be split BUT no, its in perfect condition (though I have the newer version on order) so not too sure what to look at next. Any thoughts folks?

Collage.jpg

Welcome to the forum Phil, you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch :)

Your a4 does look lovely, just sorry to hear you're not happy with it. Is it worth getting a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes flag up? 

Cheers

Steve

Hi Phil, nice new motor you have. I would say your MPG is about right as I was getting around the same economy for the A3 2.0TFSI I had years ago. I brought it with a few thousand miles on the clock and owned it for 5 years. This car was a pleasure to drive and I never thrashed it, always cruising around.This engine is no slouch but neither is it a beast. The A3 has 200bhp but I'm guessing the difference is to compensate for the extra weight of your A4. Quattro will take some more fuel to run. Hope this info is of some help.

Hello again folks,  I'll do a VCDS (got the full version) scan at the weekend & see what comes up. I do like the car, it's looks & the way it drives, just a shame about the performance - my V6 Calibra was mildly tuned (around 200bhp) but it actually felt faster (indeed could get into 3 figures on the speedo in 3rd with 2 gears left to go..............).

At least now I've replaced the brake & clutch switches (both were broken inside) the cruise control works again. Maybe that will help the economy. I've also been looking at some reports/videos about  various fuels & their effect on running - it seems that Tesco Momentum is the one to use with Shell V Power (that's what I've used for years) the 2nd choice. Guess I'll give the Tesco stuff a try...... :yes:

Hello all, changed the DV Valve for latest version (not difficult at all with a 1/4" socket set), got a PCV valve on order.

Ran VCDS & got a few fault codes:

001393 - Brake Switch (F)

001796 - Clutch Switch (F36)

008577 - Performance Malfunction in Cooling System

00819 - High Pressure Sensor (G65)

Changed the brake/clutch switches (last week - so historic only), High Pressure sensor is, I believe, possibly low gas on aircon, no idea where/what cooling system problem is (or was - probably historic).

Cleared fault codes - now no faults showing but need to run the car a bit & then recheck next weekend.

Also now using Tesco Momentum 99 - appears to be best fuel you can get just now so will see if it makes a difference...... :w00t:

Pierburg DV Valve.jpg