Couple of issues.

Danio

Hi all!
I'm new in, just got my hands on a 1998 A3 1.8t the other day. Has a couple of issues that I'm aware of, the passenger window doesn't go up, and the central locking doesn't work by remote or manually (I think the alarm goes off coz the hazards flash, but I have no siren). I've done my research and found the window is a simple broken clip on the runner, but the central locking could be the cause of a faulty pump in the boot..

My question is, where can I get a new clip to fix my window?
Also if I replace the central locking pump, do I then need to have a VCDS plugged in to code the pump to the car, and/or recode the keys?

Thanks.

Hi Daniel, are you sure it's the pump? 

When I had a similar issue on my a6 it turned out to be the drivers door lock mechanism that was faulty. I had an auto electrician take a look and fix the problem for £120 🙂

cheers

Steve

Well the central locking doesn't even work from the inside when I press the lock button, but yet I still hear the whirring noise coming from the back, and from the things I've researched that's where it seems to be pointing. 

7 hours ago, Danio said:

Well the central locking doesn't even work from the inside when I press the lock button, but yet I still hear the whirring noise coming from the back, and from the things I've researched that's where it seems to be pointing. 

Ah ok, fair enough. And I'm not sure if.yiud.need to code the pump to the central locking system but I'm.sure you don't have to reprogram the keys.

Cheers

Steve

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the pump would need programming to recognise the key or whether there is a system in place before the pump and it just acts as a mechanical part of the circuit. 

18 hours ago, Danio said:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the pump would need programming to recognise the key or whether there is a system in place before the pump and it just acts as a mechanical part of the circuit. 

Truthfully I'm not sure but surely the supplier will know when you come to buy the part? 

Cheers

Steve

I was looking at a second hand one from someone breaking theirs. Just didn't want to go through the trouble of buying one without being able to use it. 

• 2 months later...

It's a design fault with the a3s the way the water pump for the back window is situated means when the jet's get slightly blocked the pipe can leak or jump off all together so when you spray the back window and nothing happens it's because the water has soaked all the wiring and for the pump, wiper motor and the central locking servo for the boot and when one fails it won't work at all. Fix this issue and the central locking and alarm will work correctly