MMI & Instrument lighting

David Wilson

Has anyone managed to adjust the balance of the instrument lighting?  Just done nearly 500 miles in the (very) dark on unlit roads, and I've turned the brightness rheostat right down  (to the point where the main bean warning light disappears entirely) , but everything else is still distractingly bright and destroys my night vision completely.  (I have the tech pack, & MMI plus)

I've tried turning off the central display and the aircon etc lighting (which rather defeats the point of paying extra for the tech pack), but the bit in front of me doesn't seem to have enough adjustment in the rheostat.  Map is (obviously) in night mode. 

I was always a fan of the old Saab "night panel" - everything went off except for the segment of the speedo & tacho that you were actually using, and any warnings.  This is the complete opposite!  At the very least, there needs to be an option in the dashboard display to add <nothing> to the ==> map ==> phone ==> fuel consumption etc ==>radio etc display display cycle.   Just because there's a TV-style display in the middle of the steeering wheel, it doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be filled with information all the time!  (...and don't get me started on the random picture of a car that appears when you minimise the tacho/speedpo dials!)  More is not always better......