Newbie to Audi and the forum!

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie to this forum and have had my TT since Jan this year. 

It's now done 4,000km in 7 months but is now informing me that an oil change is due which I think is very early?

As it was a 'new but showroom model' could it be that the '"start time" of countdown to service was several months before purchase and if so, what can I reasonable expect from Audi in your opinion??

I called my local dealer just to enquire on cost of an oil change and was quoted a staggering £350!!!

Than ks in advance for some advice.

Bill.

Hello William,

I think your theory is not far off the mark, and the vehicle is possibly now approaching a year old. 

Now for my add-on theory which those more up to date on the current situation may blow out of the water:- 

Is there still a choice of 'Longlfe' or non longlife service schedules to choose from?

Longlife = about 18k or 18/24 months ( this is my estimation only),  the non longlife possibly = annually? 

If I'm an Audi dealer, then I would be wanting to set the service intervals to the shortest term to get as much money in as possible! Possible explanation of why they want to extract £350 out of your wallet after 4K miles ( your quoted km is a mistake?) and set yours to the non longlife schedule. 

Nor sure what difference it makes ,but is the car on PCP? If so, it can often be worth considering paying the monthly maintenance add on. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth and  thanks for your reply, the car isn't on PCP and the KM is correct, (almost 2,500 miles).

There was a discussion during purchase as to type of driving expected, short & infrequent versus long & frequent distances, I fitted into the first category then.

Thanks,

Bill.

Hello William, 

Thanks for coming back on this.

Why is Yorkshire in kilometres then? Perhaps the vote went against Brexit in your part of the country, but that's taking it a big step to the next level! Pardon my humour.

Without being cynical, it looks as if you talked yourself/were talked into, not going on the Longlife schedule, so I guess you will be on their radar once a year? Someone will confirm or otherwise that it is now annual. 

I asked if the car was on PCP since my view would be to go along with it if it is, and perhaps set up a maintenance plan. 

Difficult to know what to do, but bear in mind that the car has only been in use for 7 months and there is another 5 months to go before it's had 12 months road use. I think this point is a valid one to talk with them about (at a senior, service level ). 

I'm not sure on this , so it would be great to have other opinions and facts, but am I right in thinking the original oil has 'additives' (right word? -probably not) which aids running in?  If so, it could be argued that changing that oil after 2.5k miles may not indeed be the best for the car. Don't know, but if I were in your situation, I would need some convincing to change it now rather than in 5 months time. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth,

I can assure you that Yorkshire is Brexit country, my ability to drive in either a Kilometers or Miles setting is a skill I picked up from years of overseas work, not easy to master, but do-able with practise!

An email has been sent to the salesman that 'dealt' with me at time of purchase and hopefully a reply will be forthcoming tomorrow, I noticed in the handbook that it is possible to turn off the 'Oil change required' dashboard notification but I don't know what Audi response would be for any future warranty claims,  but, I purchased a 'brand new unregistered car' and service intervals should reflect this.

Bill.

Thanks Bill, 

Working in kilometres rather than miles in a miles-country because you can easily calculate the conversion then.  Well at least I understand now  - or do I!? 

I guess the e-mail is about the service coming up at 7months rather than 12 and you want it 12 months from delivery . 

I'm sure they will sort this out for you. 

Your call of course, but if this car was mine, I'd certainly be ensuring the oddometer was reading in miles before presenting this for its service, otherwise the service record is likely to show the reading as miles, and you would then have to be trying to explain to them and a subsequent owner why the car hasn't been clocked when you revert to miles! - which everybody works in in the UK. 

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.