Oil consumption

fathands

Hi, 
I have a 2008 2l TFSI  95000 miles and it’s going from full on the dipstick to check oil level light on the dash, approximately every 3-4 months (2500 miles). 
There are no apparent leaks or patches of oil left under the car. 
Is this normal?
If not what are the most likely causes?
I’ve not noticed any blue smoke from the exhaust, however there does seem to be a lot of exhaust smoke when both engine and weather are cold. (More than I’ve had with any other car)
Thanks 
Andy

Hello Andrew,

I believe Audi (and most other manufacturers) list the expected oil consumption in the handbook, and the quoted consumption can often be much higher than would be considered reasonable. My guess would be that the consumption of your car would not be considered 'excessive', but I am sure some similar engines will have negligible consumption if they have been serviced at regular intervals. 

Others far more knowledgeable on this engine will perhaps give opinion on whether these engines did have issues - something rings bells. 

It would be interesting to know if the car's compumption has recently increased during ownership, or if you have acquired it, and are now finding its consumption. 

We take it that the recommend grade of quality oil is being used. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi, thanks for this response. 

It has put my mind at ease a little and will check up in the manual  

I’ve only owned the car since April and had to top it up twice. 

Thanks

andy

Thanks Andy,

Appreciate the convenience of a minimum-level sensor for engine oil, but I'm old fashioned (well simply old actually!) and tend to check the dip stick approx. every month. 

Again, out of interest, how much oil do you add between min. and max? 1/1.5 litres? 

Grade of oil you are using Andy? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I’d say I was putting just under a litre in. 

Ive not had an oil change since ownership so not sure what grade of oil was in to begin with but have been putting Castrol gtx 5w 30 which I think was VW 502 spec. 

Just bought a new filter and some: Castrol Engine Oil (Edge Long Life Engine Oil - 5W-30 - 4ltr), that’s VW 503 spec, and will do a full oil change and see how I get on. 

Thanks again

Andy

Sounds a good idea to restart from a known base and ensure the oil is the correct grade for the engine - since it is a largely unknown factor at the moment. 

Personally, I use Quantum brand oil (Longlife 3) which I understand is/was the VAG recommendation. 

What brand filter are you using Andy? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 1 month later...

There would be two main signs of high oil consumption on a petrol engine (assuming no leaks as OP states), worn turbo seals as suggested, this should show signs of blue black smoke on hardish acceleration. The other is worn exhaust valve stem seals, this tipically presents as blue black smoke on the overrun, for example no throttle but in gear traveling down a hill. In both cases you really need to have someone follow you to watch for the smoke.

You Could also wipe your finger inside the tailpipe and feel the residue, best after a longish run once the exhaust has cooled so you don’t burn your finger. If the residue is really oily then there may will be high oil consumption due to a seal failure somewhere. NB if you test for oily residue after a quick journey the build up of condensation will mislead you into thinking there is oily residue there!! Hope that makes sense.

These VAG engines do seem to use oil in many cases, I wouldn’t worry too much unless you are having to top up every week.