Shorter Serpentine Belt

RunningSam

Hi there, looking for advice on bypassing Air Con Compressor with a shorter belt on my A4 B6 2004 130bhp AVF Engine, air con pump has failed & is making a loud rattling noise, so just looking for advice as can't afford to change pump at the moment is there a part number for shorter belt?, cheers Sam 

Hello Sam,

I am unable to help you with an answer, but I may be able to point you in a direction so that you can establish what you want:- 

Were any examples of this model not fitted with air.con? If so, simply visit your local motor factors and ask for a belt for the non air con. variant. 

If they were all fitted with AC then you could try running some non stretchy string around the pulleys (excluding the AC compressor), and measuring that length - together with the width and number of ribs etc., and referring to the motor factors or the technical section of a belt manufacturer - say Gates etc. I think you may find the the part number is an amalgamation of the belt width/ ribs and its length. 

One point I would raise is - will it be possible to route a shorter belt and still avoid the confines of the AC compressor? 

Kind regards,

Gareth.