New clutch problems

northern_nubie

I had a new clutch fitted about six weeks ago, to my 2003 Audi A3. It was done by a main Audi dealer, who are normally very good. I've driven quite a lot since it was fitted. Ever since, when releasing the clutch there's a slight jolting effect from the clutch, as the gear engages. Not too bad in lower gears, when bringing the pedal up is done more slowly. But from third to fourth gear, and often fourth to fifth, the jolt is there. It wasn't like that before the new clutch. The previous clutch was the original one. I accept that a new clutch won't feel the same, but it's made driving the car far less pleasurable. It doesn't even feel like it's doing the clutch or gears that much good.

Two technicians from Audi drove the car with me in it. While they accepted the jolt is there, they said this is normal. I can't understand their reasoning. It wasn't like that from new, so why now, with a new clutch? They couldn't give me a good answer.

The biting point also seems incredibly low, but they said that can't be altered, as it's self-correcting. But it just doesn't feel right and on hill starts it often feels like it may stall, and has done a few times, despite enough revs applied at the right time.

After I complained they altered what I was told was the gear box linkage (I think that's what they said), and now it seems worse.

Does anyone happen to know what is going on. As you can see, I'm no expert, but I know things don't feel right with it. 

(A friend had a new clutch fitted to a Ford Focus, a few years ago, and he said he experienced the same. Their car was never the same again, and he eventually sold it.)

I can also add that the car, from new, has often had a clunk noise when the clutch is depressed, especially usually just in the lower gears. But this issue is separate from the one described above.

Hello Peter.

A jolting clutch with a low bite point is never normal. Unfortunately I can not say precisely what is wrong with it, which isn't much help to you. Reluctantly I must also add that I am far from impressed from what I read here of Audi diagnoses. Can you take it to an independent for advice?

Thanks for your reply, Clifford. I'm just trying to think who I can get independent advice from, I mean a place I can trust. I'll do some searching and see. Perhaps that's the only way to make progress on my issue. After the technicians had a drive, I thought to myself that they may well have an interest in saying all is as it should be, bacause to say otherwise would effectively mean they've made some error when fitting the clutch.

Also, interesting to hear what you say about Audi diagnoses, which I hadn't heard before.

Let me get back to you. In the meantime, if anyone else has any views, they'll of course be appreciated.