Timming belt

Fuller30

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a audi a4 2.0t quattro s line on a 59 plate it has been into audi all of its life it has 125000 miles on the clock but cannot see if it has had its timming belt chained.

Surely if it's been in audi they would of advised to change this.

Is it a chain or a belt.

Thanks for any of your help

Hello Steven,

Believed chain, but I could be wrong .

Most reliable source would be the parts department ( not service reception) of your nearest main dealer and ask them - armed with the registration number and the VIN. 

If it proves to be a chain, it might be worth enquiring about replacing the tensioner, since these can wear. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stephen, Having just bought your Audi A4 2009 2.0 Known as B8, it takes a while to familiarise yourself & get to know what is fitted, what to look out for etc. In Australia, we don't have "59 Plate" - just Build Plate Month/Year & Compliance Plate. I don't want to alarm you, just inform, so here goes....

In addition to Gareth's advice:- Check if it has had Timing Chain Tensioner Revision already fitted. There are a few more things to watch out for, just like any used car on the market.

If I remember correctly:- there are reported cases of the old Timing Chain Tensioners failing on some 2.0 Engine Codes.  In Australia, there's a site for reference, with Detailed Reviews, Complaints, Recalls for various Makes & Models. Check with your Audi Dealer. or a respected Independent in your area. (I've seen many Audi Owners remain sceptical of what previous owners say, plus what Dealership Service people say, when asked about "any known problems") http://m.australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=recalls&make=Audi&model=A4&gen=37&pno=0

I have 2010 A3 8P 1.8TFSI EA888 CDAA 6MT. (Similar Engine, with Timing Chain)

• Like 1

Thanks for your help.

Got the engine management light on now p0016 crankshaft position cam shaft position correlation bank 1 sensor a.

What ever this is 😥 drives fine and starts fine.