Buying A8 Sunday

Bob Gunston

Hi All, 

new here today so be gentle with me!

Buying a 2011 Audi A8 SE Executive this Sunday. 54K on the clock with a FASH.

They are offering me a one year warranty to cover everything apart from wear and tear. Think it was around £550.

Do you think it is worth taking it out for the first year?

Really looking in seeing it in the flesh. 

Thanks

Bob

Hello Rob,

Sounds exciting. Not wanting to put a dampener on your intended purchase, but it seems from the ......’.I am buying ..on Sunday’ that you have made up your mind to buy the car, yet it appears ....’ seeing it in the flesh...’ that you have only seen photos of the car. As they say, love is blind, so I would ensure you take someone along with you who know his way around secondhand cars, and hopefully A8s in particular. 

FASH. Yes important and an asset, but not the be all and end all. If it were me, I would be trying to get a service print out for the car rather than just having sight of a few stamps in a book - which don’t tell you much. 

Warranty? You are very wise to take note of the ....apart  from wear and tear ... part. That is where the devil hides. Everything wears in 8 years, so effectively the warranty can potentially be classed as being of no value. All warranties are insurance backed, and this one might be no more restrictive than any other, but of course the dealer will promote this one since he is likely to be gaining commission on your £500 payment. 

If it were me, I too would be getting excited, but trying to temper that excitement until all homework has been done and the car viewed by someone independent of the excitement factor.

Good luck with hopefully buying it.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth

unfortunately I do not have any Audi expert to come with me tomorrow. So I will have to see car and make my decision then. Apparently someone view it yesterday for a long time and wanted to buy it but the garage told him I had first refusal due to the holding deposit I put on it earlier in the week. OK, salesman could be pulling a fast one but having spoken to him on several occasions and looking at the garage reviews I believe him. The pictures of the car are on auto trader via ACS sales.

cheers again

bob

Thanks Gareth

i eventually brought the car after an inspection. Loving the car so far.

Have a question re the Sat Nav. Do you know if it is possible to get google maps as i see it is not an option from the navigation menu?

Thanks in advance,

Bob