Bought my wife an a3

Tonyd499

Just bought my wife a 2001 a3 1.6 sline immaculate . Cannot fault it other then three issues 

1. Aftermarket head unit fitted not picking up reception.  Anyone have link for correct amplifier adaptor be greatly appreciated 

2. Car runs beautifully no over heating heater hot temp gauge stays at 90 waters staying put but milky residue on oil cap 

3. Fuel gauge only works once left for a while if I start car then turn it off it stops working 

Any suggestions would be great cheers guys 

Hello Tony,

Sorry cannot help with 1 for your model year, but I’m sure somebody will. Do you have a handbook? If so, this should point you to the correct original - assuming you want to return it to that set up. 

Re.2 - sounds very much as if the car has been subjected to short runs, and what you are seeing is condensation. If it were mine, I would be treating it to a good run of at least 20 miles, followed by an immediate oil drain, clean off the residue, fit a new good quality oil filter (main dealer or if not Mann) and refill with a good quality engine oil of the correct grade (5w30? please check). I only use Quantum Longlife 3 which was/is recommended by VAG. Garages would not have the time to take the car for such a run etc., so it would be best done as a DIY job if you have the skills. 

Re. 3. Probably no more than a poor/dirty connection. Worth investing in 1/2hr with an autoelectrician. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

36 minutes ago, Magnet said:

Hello Tony,

Sorry cannot help with 1 for your model year, but I’m sure somebody will. Do you have a handbook? If so, this should point you to the correct original - assuming you want to return it to that set up. 

Re.2 - sounds very much as if the car has been subjected to short runs, and what you are seeing is condensation. If it were mine, I would be treating it to a good run of at least 20 miles, followed by an immediate oil drain, clean off the residue, fit a new good quality oil filter (main dealer or if not Mann) and refill with a good quality engine oil of the correct grade (5w30? please check). I only use Quantum Longlife 3 which was/is recommended by VAG. Garages would not have the time to take the car for such a run etc., so it would be best done as a DIY job if you have the skills. 

Re. 3. Probably no more than a poor/dirty connection. Worth investing in 1/2hr with an autoelectrician. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks mate condensation was what I was thinking the bloke I got it from only used it 5 miles each way to work and back and that was it . I'll give it a good run and and oil and filter change . Yes I think I'll book in with the local autosparx tommoro thanks for your time pal