A3 8l 1.9tdi steering issue please help

Jake P

Hi guys recently brought a stage 1 1.9tdi,

Having an issue with the steering pulling to the left, so the steering wheel needs to be about 10 degrees to the right to drive straight. Also when I'm driving straight and hit a pot hole the steering wheel remains still but the car pulls to the left and then to the right like the front wheels aren't going in the same direction basically trying to pull me all over the shop, just wondered if anyone has had a similar issue? I was thinking it could be the track rod ends or ball joint but I'm just guessing, any advice would be appreciated as im a first time owner of an A3 8L. 

Thanks in advance if any of you beautiful people could help

Hello Jake,

Sorry to hear of your issues.

My advice for what it’s worth is please do not guess at what the reasons for this are - it’s potentially just too dangerous to continue to do this, and I would say it’s impossible for anyone on here to offer you any true explanation without actually inspecting the vehicle. A variety of guesses -yes, but guesses they will be. 

If this were mine, I would be getting this carefully inspected by a trusted local garage after they have road tested with you so they can experience the handling first hand. 

Some might advocate getting the alignment (tracking) checked and adjusted, but in my book, this should only be done once the car has been inspected and either passed as having no significant wear/ explanation, or the detected defects rectified. 

I would not delay on this Jake, since it sounds as if it’s handling like a three legged cow! 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.