New guy - advice on the A6 Avant

Le-Sabre

Hi folks, 

I'm looking at buying my first Audi, always admired them from afar and now i'm gonna take the plunge hopefully. So i'm after any advice on what to look out for on The A6  Avant specifically, probably gonna be around the 2011 or earlier models rally, diesel as i will be doing a lot of motorway mileage.

There's always a few things that invariably go wrong on any car so what are they on the A6 ? 

Little modifications that avoid those annoying failures ?

Thanks

Hi John....welcome to the Club

Plenty of information on the site, especially in the A6 section with quite a few recurring issues being talked about.

Good to have you onboard

Cheers,  Trevor

As with any new car: full service history is a must and if you are looking at the Auto gearbox be sure that it has had the correct services done - the gearbox service can be pricey but if not done can bring all sorts of headaches. The s-tronic box if serviced can be so sweet though with imperceivable gear changes prodigin seamless drive. Other usuals include cambelt service and see that the waterpump was done at the same time. Larger engines have cam chains and these come at a premium at change time. 

Quattro is another plus as is tech and seat packs. Original options again added to the original purchase price but make a real difference to car ownership.

Alloy wheels can start blistering with age and diamond cut alloys a mare to maintain. 

The A6 is a real workhorse and solidly put together with ample space inside - take you time and drive a few to get a feel for what feels right and wrong in the car. 

Good luck with your quest.

Thanks guys,

I'll have a trawl through the forums and take note of the gearbox servicing. 

What servicing does the auto box need ? are we talking simple trans fluid and filters or is there more, i guess i'm asking is it a job you can do yourself or a definite garage job ?