newbie ( but a good driver)

JulJameson

Hello Julia,

Welcome to the forum. 

Frequency of oil changes? Good quality modern oils are capable of close on 20,000 miles of service between changes. How often you should change it will depend on the type of driving you do - long continuous runs, infrequent short runs with stop/starts etc. We have a very ordinary A3 which covers a mixture of both the above, and on average covers about 8K miles a year, but I change the oil annually, simply because (doing it myself) it’s not expensive. Using good quality oils and filters is obviously important - if you were in the UK then I could suggest makes, but.....

Brakes and braking? Again good quality components are the best starting point, and should pay dividends by longer life. Having driven vintage cars for more years than I care to remember, my driving style has been one of ‘anticipation’, so I tend not to leave braking to the last moment. Getting a good mileage out of good quality components should be enhanced with this style of driving. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.