Sign in to follow this  
Jase1

A6 Fuel pump noisy

Hi,

The fuel pump on my A6 Avant is very noisy, is anyone also have this issue?

Hello,

I have a 2019 A6 (C8) avant with the 40tdi engine. My car does a irritating humming/buzzing sound which at first i thought to be from an unbalanced AC fan but soon discovered its not as i turned the AC off, the humming persisted. I had also noted that this noise changes in tone when slightly pressing the accelerator, so it is connected to fuel supply to the engine.  I have recently discovered its source when I began using the start-stop function (which i did not used), as when the engine is stopped as i stop in traffic, the noise can be clearly heard (without beeing masked by engine noise) for 1-2 secs and then it stops to reappear again as soon as engine starts. It is clearly a pump noise and it is located under the passenger seat (my car is LHD).

before this A6 I had a Q5 and the fuel filter was located under the passenger seat but had no pump. Maybe Audi moved the primary pump to this location or set a new pump on the fuel circuit, as there is also one pump on the tank (I car hear that too). I could not find any service manual or diagrams for this car, so I cannot tell for sure.

I did not take the car to the dealer but i am planning on do it soon as this noise drives me mad.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:39 PM, Francisco said:

Hello,

I have a 2019 A6 (C8) avant with the 40tdi engine. My car does a irritating humming/buzzing sound which at first i thought to be from an unbalanced AC fan but soon discovered its not as i turned the AC off, the humming persisted. I had also noted that this noise changes in tone when slightly pressing the accelerator, so it is connected to fuel supply to the engine.  I have recently discovered its source when I began using the start-stop function (which i did not used), as when the engine is stopped as i stop in traffic, the noise can be clearly heard (without beeing masked by engine noise) for 1-2 secs and then it stops to reappear again as soon as engine starts. It is clearly a pump noise and it is located under the passenger seat (my car is LHD).

before this A6 I had a Q5 and the fuel filter was located under the passenger seat but had no pump. Maybe Audi moved the primary pump to this location or set a new pump on the fuel circuit, as there is also one pump on the tank (I car hear that too). I could not find any service manual or diagrams for this car, so I cannot tell for sure.

I did not take the car to the dealer but i am planning on do it soon as this noise drives me mad.

Hi,

Thanks for the note, It looks like Audi are going to install a new fuel pump, it is on back order but the service technician said it looks like they are changing the pump design due to the noice. My car is booked in again for the 10th Feb and they want it for a week!