2014 A5 90k Miles - a good buy?

Sean Leroy

Hi guys, 

My first post on here. I'm currently looking to buy an audi a5 and considering a 2014 model but unsure if its a risk or not. I've never owned an audi before so don't know much about them. This particular one I'm looking at is an s-line with 90k miles. It's the miles that worry me! 

This car comes with 1 year audi dealer nationwide warranty and fresh 2 year nct/mot. It's also got full audi service history. Should I be worried about issues with this car because of the mileage? Are there certain things that I should be aware of that could go wrong or questions I should ask the dealer. 

Any help would be great, 

Sean

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Sean,

Just a few comments:- 

Is this NI or south? Ref. ‘......fresh not/MOT...’ I understand NI MOTs have been suspended for some time, due to issues with replacing faulty lifts at the official MOT testing locations, so is above statement actually seen to be true, or do you mean it is currently subject to a testing exemption until the lifts are replaced? 

If south, I’m not sure if the same applies there. 

Dependent on engine - cambelt or chain? If belt, has it been changed (with evidence to prove)? Chains and tensioners also wear. 

Mileage would suggest this has been a company car. OK in terms of service history, but quite likely not to have had the same care lavished on it as (some) private owners would extend to it. 

Can you gain information on its previous ownership? If so, I would certainly check there, since there will be far more ‘history’ there than you will find in any service book. 

Can we take it that the car isn’t being sold by an Audi main dealer? Generally would not be in mainland UK due to the higher than average mileage. 

Hope some of the above may help you to consider your interest. 

One final  point I would make is that overall condition is more important than mileage. You are likely to encounter low mileage examples which have not been well cared for - and of course higher mileage ones which haven’t been either. 

Worth bearing gain mind however that higher than average mileage will of course reduce the selling price, both now and in the future. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Apologies fellow posters for boring you with the reply. 

Missed the fact that the ‘New poster’ joined, posted his question and never returned to the forum from the day he joined. 

I should have noticed. 

Apologies for not coming back as I bought an a6 at the weekend instead and maybe you should of noticed this "New Poster" posted this question over a month ago and had zero replies until this week. And I was checking every day actually on here, up until that car sold which was weeks ago, but I got the impression the forum wasn't used much so got advice on another website. 

Saying that the advice on the other site wasn't as detailed as yours. The car sold before the people on the other site even responded so wasn't meant to be but to be honest, I found the a6 far superior. 

The other car was irish whereas the a6 was bought new from England and only driven on Irish roads. Both had full dealer histories, but the a6 is a 2012 with only 63k miles so is gleaming. The a5 was sold buy audi sligo to another crowd and I confirmed this when I rang audi sligo. 

Both cars had a timing belt and the a5 had never been changed which I was very concerned about, where as the a6 was done by the dealer I bought it off, with proof so was good. I'm slightly concerned about the clutch as heard they can go around the 70k mile mark by a mechanic but so far feels really nice. 

While I would of preferred a 2013/2014, I saved a fortune with a 2012 and at least when I go to trade in about two years it will still have relatively low miles so might get a good deal for it. 

Had no intentions of buying an a6 but when I drove this there was no comparison I felt with the a5. The a5 might look nicer but for comfort, lack of road noise, and the enjoyment of the big cabin for the long commutes I do the a6 was just far superior and I absolutely love getting into it every day🙏

Hello Sean, 

Glad you are now sorted, and apologies for the ‘not returned to the forum’ bit. 

I think there is a lesson to be learnt here:- 

From what you say, the ‘Last visited the forum’ date is inaccurate, insofar as it does not give a true representation of when a forum member signs on, but simply indicates when an action/response is made.

If so, this paints an unfair picture in terms of the poster’s interest once he has posted. I will take this up with the good folks at ‘Admin’. 

From the poster’s point of view, (not applicable in your case) it may be advisable to modify the Forum Rules to advise posters on the good form of thanking contributors for their comments - so the forum knows the poster has returned. 

Enjoy the car.

Kind regards

Gareth. 

Well if of been checking via work computers so wouldn't of been logged in anyway, therefore wouldn't of known I was even on the site. I'd be very careful which sites I log into on the work computers. 

I should of replied earlier to the comments but with the mess that going on at the moment, there were other priorities I had to tend to as things have become a little difficult at the moment.