2001 A4 1.8t Quattro blown head gasket

Adams A4

Hi need some help please

I have and 2001 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro saloon I've had aa out and have been told head gasket is gone and will need new engine or rebuild my engine code is avj these seem to be hard to find does anyone know if the bfb engine will fit straight in 

Many thanks 

Hello Adam,

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Wondered if you could explain the sequence of issues which led you to breakdown - I take it the car did breakdown? - and what diagnosis the AA carried out to suspect the head gasket has failed, and if it has, why the car (engine) is not repairable. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi Gareth thank you for your reply

I was heading down motorway when it started to make a rattling noise from engine then started to drop power along with alot of smoke coming out the rear I had pulled over turned engine off opened bonnet was a sizzling sound coming from engine smelt of burning oil I got car recovered home where I got aa out engine cranked but wouldn't start could smell burning compression test seemed ok just looking for some advice as I've always had BMW's new to Audi's,

I've also found an avj engine but is off an auto am I right in thinking cranks are different and will require crank being skimmed for clearance for flywheel and also pilot bearing in order to fit as I'm sure the manual is 43mm and auto is 15mm to the crank as I say I'm not experienced with Audi's so all advice welcome,