Petrol Leak

A4geezer

Yesterday I had a major fuel leak caused by the fuel line rubbing on the car body creating a pin hole, thus forcing petrol out under pressure; lost about a quarter of a tank. The filter is on the off side in the location under the rear passenger seat. To access the filter you have to remove a cover plate. The filter connections face towards the rear of the car, the affected fuel line turns back on its self and rubs on the underside of the car body (poor design in my opinion). Having the filter and fuel line replaced next week.

• 3 years later...

Today the RAC fixed a gushing fuel leak coming from the pipe where it had been chafing against the bodywork just in front of the offside rear wheel. Audi A4 Avant, 2.0T, built late 2004, first registered March 2005 and done 120,000 miles. Fortunately I may have spotted it before losing too much fuel, but the pool undernerath the car was spreading wrll when the engine was turned on - fuel under pressure.

This appears to be a design fault, or an assembly error - if not both! The car will be going to the local Audi dealer ASAP for a full fix, and their comments. The pipe is protected by a cover plate, so my first thought that it had been damaged by an external obstruction was incorrect.

I am unhappy that this should occur at any age as it isn't normal wear and tear.