Radiator fan won’t stop spinning, now engine management light is on?

SarahLouise

Hi Guys,

2 days ago I bought myself a 66 plate Audi A3. Drive home was fine except noticed tyre pressure was low and aircon does not work (blows out hot air!) Called the dealer to mention it as I have a 30 day warranty. Whilst cleaning the car the radiator fan started turning on and off for about 10 second half intervals. Went for a drive after because suspected it might have been dpf regen. Came back from drive and the fan still carried on for the next two hours or so (very loud) started car to move it and engine management light appeared! After a little while the noise eventually stopped but found out this evening the reason it had stopped was because it drained the battery out completely. Does any one have any experience in this? Or any idea as to what this could be? Half tempted to hand the car back but really like the car minus the problems. I plan on getting a warrently and the dealer offered a 1 month so can defo get this investigated just worried what problems could come next 

thanks 

Hello Sarah,

You must return this car to the dealer (main dealer?) who has to rectify the faults to ensure the car is fit for purpose. Re. warranties:- again the dealer is responsible for rectifying faults which render the vehicle unfit for purpose within the first 3 months (maybe more - so do searches on this and my 3 month figure). 

You must give them an opportunity to rectify the problems, but they do not/cannot, you should be entitled to reject the car. 

Simple observation that the car was not checked before sale, would be the non working air con. 

What is the history of the car service and ownership wise? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Sarah,

You must return this car to the dealer (main dealer?) who has to rectify the faults to ensure the car is fit for purpose. Re. warranties:- again the dealer is responsible for rectifying faults which render the vehicle unfit for purpose within the first 3 months (maybe more - so do searches on this and my 3 month figure). 

You must give them an opportunity to rectify the problems, but they do not/cannot, you should be entitled to reject the car. 

Simple observation that the car was not checked before sale, would be the non working air con. 

What is the history of the car service and ownership wise? 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you,

The car comes with 1 one warrenty so its going back to get fixed. The car has full Audi service history and 2 previous owners. It also supposedly had a service right before a bought it which I am waiting for proof of. 

Thanks

Well, Sarah, if that’s what a pre sales service and service history amounts to then so much for that service schedule - where even the air co. was non operational, so not checked. 

You don’t share whether this was purchased from a main dealer or some other dealer/ car supermarket. 

‘........I plan on getting a warranty and the dealer offered a month......You now say  ‘....comes with 1 one ? warranty..’ 

I seriously think it’s worth you doing searches on consumer law in relation to car sales, to see what warranty period should apply in your case, rather than depend on what the seller tells you, 

Thanks for your feedback. 

Sorry for not adding, the car was purchased from a independent garage. The car is going in Monday to have the problems looked at (air con, engine management light etc) Depending on what the issues are I will be handing the car back worst case. I had a look into Consumer rights states which states 30 days if the problem was logged with the dealership ASAP which it has been. 

Thanks

sarah 

• 2 years later...

Did you manage to find out what the issue was? I’ve bought a 2018 A3 2.0 TDI and noticed the radiator fan comes on sometimes even when car hasn’t been turned on for hours. Killed the battery once. Now today the engine management light has come on following the fan coming on earlier after being off for 6 hours. Bought it just over a month ago, will call the dealer in the morning but I’m not holding my breath!